PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
ROTF LMAO. That's a GBD pot that I got on sale at Iwan Ries for about $55.

It does have straight grain and nice growth ring features, but it was an

online purchase, so it wasn't even chosen especially, just dumb luck.

DSCN0375.jpg

DSCN0377.jpg

DSCN0379.jpg

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
Looks like Dunhill sandblasting. Regardless of who blasted what, that is a very nice looking GBD. I'm always hunting for good deals on older GBDs

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
You're right, Phil. When I pulled that pipe out of it's sleeve I almost fell on the floor. I regret not taking a photo of it immediately because the interior of the bowl was uncarbonized and showed tight, vertical straight grain all the way around. In the top photo you can see where the blasting removed the soft(er) wood to reveal the vertical grain, and the growth rings on the horizontal at right angles to it.
My best smokers are GBD bulldogs; but this one, a pot, is slow in "coming around". It's only got about 100 smokes on it, and I'm guessing it'll be another 100 or so smokes before it mellows-out. As it is, it's pretty good right now, but I know it will improve.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
You guys have piqued my interest in sandblast and rusticated pipes.

The first pipe I ever purchased was a sandblast, and I have purchased 3 rusticated since then. The latter I smoke when working outside, the former is too dear to me to risk any harm.

My perception has always been that the sandblast and rusticated pipes are more work oriented pipes... more rugged, you know not so delicate.

I may have to re-examine that perception.
Those are some beautiful pipes guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.