PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jogrefoln

Lurker
Mar 20, 2013
Knight Island, AK
I tried to glean the "why" where some of you mention that you would not own a rusticated, but I'd like to know a little more directly the reasons. Is it because it is a process more commonly used to hide flawed briar, i.e. structural; or do you simply not like the looks of it?
So far, I have not really been taken with any rustications I've seen with the exception of the Castello Sea Rock, (I clicked on this thread hoping to find out if it was a blast or a rustication, these are quickly becoming my favorite pipes to drool over)Knowing now that the Castello is a rustication it seems to me that it is a real artisan skill to create a rusticated pipe that looks so beautiful.
I'm watching a Sea Rock right now and hope to own it by the end of the day. Just wondering why, specifically, those who don't like them don't like them. Thanks- JO

acme

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 4, 2011
I like smooth pipes best because they show off the grain.

Sandblasting usually shows the grain, but primarily only as a relief.

Rustication, usually in my experience, hides the grain.
anthony

petergunn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 3, 2013
I tried to glean the "why" where some of you mention that you would not own a rusticated, but I'd like to know a little more directly the reasons. Is it because it is a process more commonly used to hide flawed briar, i.e. structural; or do you simply not like the looks of it?
The few fully rusticated pipes I've held felt like they had warts, other than that it's purely visual.
I have to admit I'm surprised at the number of responses that believe blast and rusticated are the same thing, I'm a traditionalist when it comes to pipes and I guess I just assumed the differences were well established.

estumpf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 22, 2013
I appreciate the shared information. This was helpful for me to understand the differences.

I have a GBD Collector Rockroot. I thought it was sandblasted, but based on your explanation it must be rusticated. The reason is the groves that would seem to be the sandblasted gouging is all vertical around the bowl and along the stem. If it was sandblasted this would have been a terrific straight grain. But when I look at the top of the bowl I see of the grain going from back to front. partfile:///C:/Users/estumpf/Downloads/photo.JPG

jogrefoln

Lurker
Mar 20, 2013
Knight Island, AK
I appreciate the responses as to the "why's" here.
@Petergunn - in response to your being surprised by the ideas that they are one in the same it seems that in my own research there are a lot of conflicting views on several pipe descriptions. The ongoing debate of what makes a Bulldog different from a Rhodesian seems eternal with the differences being interchangeable depending on the person. All reports seem to be from various levels of "expertise" yet no one seems willing to validate their opinions with any sort of authoritative reference; perhaps there just aren't any. I think I have the rusticated/blasted issue figured out though, at least for myself, and agree that they cannot be considered the same.
I'm of the mind that similarities are only similar and not identical; so, if two things are not identical then each should come to be known by different names for the purpose of being distinguished one from the other. I don't think that's a new concept. Even as a newcomer I can tell a blast certainly isn't identical to a rusticated, so how can they be categorized as the same thing?
Maybe it's just me, but I'd hate to be invited to a party for rusticated Rhodesians only to be socially scarred by the horror of mistakenly brandishing my blasted Bulldog!! I might never live it down!! lol

wcannoy

Can't Leave
Nov 29, 2012
Lakeland, FL
I love that we have 3 professional, accomplished pipe makers posting in this thread. The disagreement between them makes it even more interesting.
If I see Wayne or Anthony at a pipe show, I'm gonna kick 'em in the nads...
or buy them a drink. Probably buy them a drink. :lol:

wcannoy

Can't Leave
Nov 29, 2012
Lakeland, FL
Ok, think of the term "rustication"... It means that the pipe was textured to make it look "rustic". Carving does this, and sandblasting does this. Both sandblasting and carving are forms of rustication. That's just the facts. That's the way it is... Sandblasting is a specific subset of rustication. Follow me?
That fact aside, carving rustication and sandblasting rustication are very different processes with different results. The desirability of those results are varied. Most pipe collectors readily distinguish one finish from the other, and the need for more specific description than just "rustication" arises.
Since the sandblasted rustication is so very different from all of the carved types of rustication (for reasons I mentioned in an earlier post), the subset of rustication called "sandblasting" has evolved into its own category separate from all carved forms of rustication.
Still with me?
For the purpose of distinguishing the (generally, but arguably) more desirable sandblasted form of rustication from the carved form of rustication, we now just say that a pipe is either sandblasted or rusticated, but not both.
It's just semantics, and in the end everyone is right. Just don't expect to order a rusticated pipe and get a sandblasted one, or vise versa...

petergunn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 3, 2013
in response to your being surprised by the ideas that they are one in the same it seems that in my own research there are a lot of conflicting views on several pipe descriptions.
I realize my personal taste on things may be somewhat limited and as my kids like to remind me I live in the past :) so maybe this is why I see a clear line between a blast and rusticated, it may be a myopic view on my part but I'm a traditional guy so a proper pipe finish is smooth or sandblast, in my world that is. ;)

acme

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 4, 2011
Hey wcannoy, let me know if you decide drink or kick before Chicago. If you haven't decided, I think that I will just leave my nads at home.

anthony

hfearly

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 11, 2012
Canada
I think it's quite simple: anything that's not smooth is rusticated.
However, there are different ways to rusticate the surface: carving knife, dremel, nails, sandblast box, throwing it from a high rise, ...

wcannoy

Can't Leave
Nov 29, 2012
Lakeland, FL
Hey wcannoy, let me know if you decide drink or kick before Chicago. If you haven't decided, I think that I will just leave my nads at home.

anthony
Since disagreeing with each other over a drink sounds like much more fun than disagreeing while doubled over vomiting, I think it will be the drink!
Cheers!

-Walt

petergunn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 3, 2013
Semantics don't matter, debating the processes don't matter, what matters is how pipes are marketed and the established price structure. If someone bought a rusticated thinking is was a blast, bummer live and learn. But trying to lump together blast and rusticated as somehow equal if prices don't bare this out seems a bit disingenuous.

wcannoy

Can't Leave
Nov 29, 2012
Lakeland, FL
But trying to lump together blast and rusticated as somehow equal if prices don't bare this out seems a bit disingenuous.
Sorry, maybe I created some confusion by trying to provide too much information.
Does sandblasting make a pipe look "rustic"? Yes.

Is sandblasting a method of "rustication"? Yes.

Should the term "rustication" be used when referring to a sandblasted pipe? No.
Cheers

-Walt

Status
Not open for further replies.