PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
In observance of approaching Independence Day, a quote from the Declaration:
He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Well, to some that lurk around, this is exactly what you wanted. Hope you got the Hope you were happy for.

pipesticks

Can't Leave
Jun 29, 2016
Chicago
I'll tell you what would really be useful. A database that contains what tobaccos will be grandfathered in as pre-2007 and what won't post 2007. It would be real helpful if a place like tobbacoreviews.com would start including that information so we have an idea of what to stock up on now before it potentially disappears and what will most likely be available in the future if these Deeming Regulations wind up going down as written.
In response to why 2007 date was chosen, I believe that is when vaping products really hit the market. Also, that date would include all the modified cigarette rolling tobacco repackaged as pipe tobacco after the 2009 PACT Act, which we all knew they were going to come after eventually.

May 4, 2015
But they don't have to be sold in August of this year. They've got two years, so why discontinue popular selling blends so early in the process?
Nothing NEW after August of this year. That two year grace period is for existing SKUs. Three years if they have an app in.

jmatt

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 25, 2014
For what it's worth, on tobaccoreviews I check every blend I'm interested in by sorting the reviews oldest first. If the oldest review is pre-2007, I presume it's ok. But if the first review is after 2007 I assume it's going away. That's not an infallible method, becaus unless the tobacco was available in February 2007, it has to be approved. So old blends with old reviews that were discontinued for a time and later resurrected will still be in trouble.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
JMatt: I wouldn't make that assumption only because there are some blends that were around before 2007 and likely weren't listed at TR until after that time. For instance, Sutliff's Field & Stream Match has been around for several years, but the oldest review is mine from January of 2015. I was the one who listed that entry, and I know the blend, like all House of Windsor Matches, were being made before 2010, and possibly before 2007. While the date of the earliest reviews of a blend is instructive, I wouldn't take them all as a definitive starting date.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
But they don't have to be sold in August of this year. They've got two years, so why discontinue popular selling blends so early in the process?
Nothing NEW after August of this year. That two year grace period is for existing SKUs. Three years if they have an app in.
I understand that, but all the previous blends would still be able to be sold during that two year period, so I just thought it was odd to stop blending/selling the previous blends that have continued to sell well until it was officially time. However, if Pipes and Cigars (Cigars International) legal counsel advised them to stop then I guess that's that.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
The main difference between us and Lane is that they have a manufacturing license. For decades, retailers have been mixing tobaccos supplied by manufacturers without adding anything else and it was considered fine. Under the new regulations, that would require a manufacturing license. We would file for one, but all these blends are post-2007, so we still wouldn't be able to continue them without filing and submitting them for testing, which would be way too costly.

That said, we are working on supplying our customers with recipes so that they can continue enjoying them by doing the blending at home.
Russ

markus

Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
What about the P&C MATCH blends? I will sorely miss the Walnut Match, Presbyterian Match, MM965 Match, BB1938 Match and BSOSM Match if they were to go away.

ltstone

Dec 30, 2015
I betcha Scotties pancake has C&D's Autumn Evening in it , I just know it! And I'm guessing Candy Cane Cocoa has Frosty mint...

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A little fact checking here -- my earlier post that called the smokingpipes.com blends "Lowlands" was wrong; they are Low Country. I hope some of those pre-date 2007.

foolwiththefez

Can't Leave
Sep 22, 2015
Sunny FL
The main difference between us and Lane is that they have a manufacturing license. For decades, retailers have been mixing tobaccos supplied by manufacturers without adding anything else and it was considered fine. Under the new regulations, that would require a manufacturing license.
It only just occurred to me this morning to worry about other house blends. Think I need to buy a pound or two Milan Tobacco's Chartwell this month.

gsmunoz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2016
- That said, we are working on supplying our customers with recipes so that they can continue enjoying them by doing the blending at home.
Russ,
Thank you. I cannot express the level of gratitude and appreciation I have for this act of generosity. In the midst of this insane crap storm you continue to hold your head high and put others first. You are the best of the best.

steveva

Lurker
Nov 14, 2013
Russ,
Recipes would be wonderful. But just to be clear, since we are all law-abiding citizens who would "NEVER" think to circumvent federal regulations, these reipes would be strictly for archival, scientific, historical and reference purposes. Right?...Right?!! (Everyone enegretically nods their heads in agreement).
Whew!. Thank God we got THAT cleared up. I'd hate to think we might be sitting in the privacy of our own homes, sipping a whiskey after a long day at work and puffing on a bowl of home-blended Cavandish in the Woods, Yule Log or My Own Blend, only to have the Pipe Tobacco Police roll up on your front lawn in a 15 ton MRAP and deploy a platoon of armed "pipe tobacco enforcement agents" in full tactical gear and body armor, to save America from the Zombie Apocalyptic consequences of doing something totally legal.
How the hell did we get here?
Steve

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
Recipes would be wonderful. But just to be clear, since we are all law-abiding citizens who would "NEVER" think to circumvent federal regulations, these reipes would be strictly for archival, scientific, historical and reference purposes. Right?...Right?!! (Everyone enegretically nods their heads in agreement).
The end-consumer can do whatever they like with the products they receive...retailers, not so much. Well, they might frown on feeding Five Brothers to an endangered species, but short of that, you should be okay.
Russ

Status
Not open for further replies.