PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
This afternoon I was trying to smoke my pipes on my back porch {deck} and it was stifling hot.

I looked at my phone and it was 97 in the shade.

All those Lees were spread out in front of me, sort of baking in the heat. I thought this isn’t as much fun as it was, and went inside my ice cold garage.

The best looking woman I’ll ever see in all my life was inside. The first time she came up to me 22 years ago I wondered why some super model was in Cabela’s in Mitchell South Dakota. She’s been typing my papers and scheduling my calendar and raising our kids ever since. I’m a lucky man.

She smiled and asked me, if something she was typing was all right, and it was when I read it.

I reached for a Lee Three Star that has just gorgeous grain, filled it with cherry cavendish and fired it up.

She asked if that pipe tasted as good as it smelled, and I said probably better.

A really pretty pipe tastes better.

Better briar has tighter grain, but most of the reason better briar tastes better, is we are so glad we own such a pretty, shining thing as that, you know?

It’s mostly in our heads, but it’s real anyway.
The question is: What really makes better briar? puffy

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
Finally we agree on something. Smoking quality is 90% carver, 10% briar. But I do enjoy looking at a beautiful piece of wood and have no issue paying for that privilege.
Sorry, but I couldn't disagree with you more. The best carver in the world can't make a good smoking pipe from a poor piece of briar. And, nice straight grain does not make a pipe smoke better. No one really knows for sure why some briar smokes better that other. It seems the age of the wood, how long it was dried, how much sap is in it, and how the maker cured (treated} it are all factors. In the end, making a good smoking pipe is as much art as it is science. If something works well, just do it even if you don't understand why. puffy

Papamique

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 11, 2020
Sorry, but I couldn't disagree with you more. The best carver in the world can't make a good smoking pipe from a poor piece of briar. And, nice straight grain does not make a pipe smoke better. No one really knows for sure why some briar smokes better that other. It seems the age of the wood, how long it was dried, how much sap is in it, and how the maker cured (treated} it are all factors. In the end, making a good smoking pipe is as much art as it is science. If something works well, just do it even if you don't understand why. puffy
To contrast this to reinforce this point (in my head at least), if you take a fresh piece of briar and don’t cure it so it is soft and wet with sap and then hand it to an experienced pipe maker/carver to make a pipe you will have a crappy smoking tasting pipe no matter how much cake or grain is involved. I wouldn’t know because I tend to think the master carver would hand it right back refusing to tarnish his reputation with such a piece of briar. It seems even experienced pipe makers know how important aging and curing briar is. Maybe. I’m just thinking out loud and may be way off base.

pharaohfitz

Lurker
May 13, 2010
Erehwon

pharaohfitz

Lurker
May 13, 2010
Erehwon
An age old discussion about briar and a quality smoke. I made a few pipes and visited with others, just one “Danish Master.” Boiling and drying at the Briar mill is critical as is the drying or curing method- oil cured, air cured or processing it to mechanically remove moisture, etc. I do find that briar from different regions have unique characteristics but I can’t determine if that is from the mill, Mother Nature or other processes, i.e., Sardinian, Corsican, other Italian regions, Greek, Algerian, Spanish briar, etc. One of the best smokers I had was an inexpensive one made from a ebauchon and was full bent as opposed to one hand cut from plateaux. I have some very special hand made “collector” pipes that are great smokers and others that pale to my old ebauchon el cheapo. In the end game, the flavor comes from the tobacco through the draft hike and stem. Moisture content, draft hole diameter, etc. counts and the briar shouldn’t interfere which is one of the reasons oil curing is touted by Dunhill and others. I have some 30 year old air cured pleateaux that smokes much different now than it did after just a few years from the mill. Stems and the ever preset discussions around turbulence of air flow abound, as well. Art and aesthetics, as well as, marketing all okay their part. Enjoy the smoke, life is too short for a bad smoke :)

Reactions: OzPiper

clynch

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2013
Pensacola Florida
This afternoon I was trying to smoke my pipes on my back porch {deck} and it was stifling hot.

I looked at my phone and it was 97 in the shade.

All those Lees were spread out in front of me, sort of baking in the heat. I thought this isn’t as much fun as it was, and went inside my ice cold garage.

The best looking woman I’ll ever see in all my life was inside. The first time she came up to me 22 years ago I wondered why some super model was in Cabela’s in Mitchell South Dakota. She’s been typing my papers and scheduling my calendar and raising our kids ever since. I’m a lucky man.

She smiled and asked me, if something she was typing was all right, and it was when I read it.

I reached for a Lee Three Star that has just gorgeous grain, filled it with cherry cavendish and fired it up.

She asked if that pipe tasted as good as it smelled, and I said probably better.

A really pretty pipe tastes better.

Better briar has tighter grain, but most of the reason better briar tastes better, is we are so glad we own such a pretty, shining thing as that, you know?

It’s mostly in our heads, but it’s real anyway.
I agree completely. Its what we believe. Good! Enjoy it.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I think you contradicted yourself several times.

• Haha
Reactions: Papamique

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
She was visiting her mother in Mitchell.

I was recently divorced and the saddest man in Cabela’s, sitting there all pitiful, eating a sandwich, on my way to Winner South Dakota and pheasant camp.

I sorta perked up and started smiling a bit, when it dawned on me, she was making conversation.

I almost forgot all about those hairy legged boys waiting for me in Winner.

Finally, I used my best pick up line—

I’ve not been on a date since 1977.

Would you care if I took you and your three children to see a movie somewhere in Mitchell?

I even paid for their lunch.

Don’t you tell me there ain’t no Jesus.

I was about to pay my check and leave when she walked in.:)
Mitchell, eh? That's where I graduated from high school.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon