PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jacob74

Lifer
Dec 22, 2019
Killeen, TX
Hello all,
I've not been in this hobby terribly long, only since last October. I've been reading my Tolkien favs about every other year since I was young, and finally decided to go full Hobbit. :) Truth be told, it was reading George Washington Sears "Woodcraft and Camping" that really got me to the point of buying a pipe and going for it. I bought a Dr. Grabow and a Missouri Meerschaum to get started, and then somehow wound up with a lovely W.O Larsen and a custom made clay pipe. I'm not trying to go into full on pipe acquisition syndrome, (and I'm still holding out fairly well, just don't tell my wife!)

At any rate, I've found over the last few months that I really enjoy Luxury Bullseye Flake and Luxury Navy Flake, and thought to myself that I really wanted to experience the whole "Nessmuk" thing that I'd read about in the book I referenced above. At the local B&M, I got the last 6 inches of Rum Twist that had been in the bulk jar for quite some time, (for a very reasonable price). At the advice of the proprietor, I used a cigar cutter to take a few thin slices. I rubbed them into shreds, and set them on a plate for about 30 minutes or so, then loaded up the MM corncob, and fired up.

The rum wasn't very forward at all, I only got the rum taste fleetingly. In truth, it reminded me quite a bit of smoking a cigar. Though I've never been a cigarette smoker, I've been a musician for years and played many the quintessential smoky bar. My parents were smokers, and I'm old enough that I remember people smoking on airplanes. All this to say, I don't generally feel much by way of nicotine in the blends I've enjoyed so far. This Rum Twist though? The nicotine hit me square in the forehead, wow! My MM is not a very big pipe, and I took it slow, smoked it in about 35 or 40 minutes. That stuff left me a little woozy. I can see where some of you all mention wanting to take a nap after. Don't get me wrong, it was definitely not a negative experience, but I think I'll be saving this twist specifically for camping...it's now safely in a jar, and I expect it will last me all season!

Here is the quote that inspired me,

"The fire has burned low, and snow is falling. The owls have left, and a deep silence broods over the cold, still forest. You rouse the fire, and, as the bright light shines to the furthest recesses of your forest den, get out the little pipe, and reduce a bit of navy plug to its lowest denomination. The smoke curls lazily upward; the fire makes you warm and drowsy, and again you lie down—to again awaken with a sense of chilliness—to find the fire burned low, and daylight breaking. You have slept better than you would in your own room at home."

-Jacob

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
And I'm jealous. rotf
Heck, I could feel tonight's Bob's Chocolate Flake hit me a little bit.

Or was it that the fourth glass of Scotch? ?

Anyway, excellent post! I'm going to have to look up that book. There's nothing like curling up in your sleeping bag with the world buzzing around you, too tired and too relaxed to care about what might lurk in the dark. Remembering the day's activities and the beauty of the natural world around you. Just cozy, just happy, just...zzz

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
I’m also into pipe smoking for the romance of it all. I’ve found that the pressed tobaccos in general are stronger and change the experience quite a bit. More serious.

Reactions: Jacob74

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I’m also into pipe smoking for the romance of it all. I’ve found that the pressed tobaccos in general are stronger and change the experience quite a bit. More serious.
I miss C&D before the Laudasi buy out. They would press any of their blends for you.

Reactions: stogie37

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
I miss C&D before the Laudasi buy out. They would press any of their blends for you.

That sounds like a good service. You can also see a market for almost every flake to be sold as a plug. Probably not enough to tin it up and feed a retail channel, but I’d love to be able to get a Presbyterian Plug or Cake just to try it out. Or a Mac Baren Navy Plug.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
That sounds like a good service. You can also see a market for almost every flake to be sold as a plug. Probably not enough to tin it up and feed a retail channel, but I’d love to be able to get a Presbyterian Plug or Cake just to try it out. Or a Mac Baren Navy Plug.
Just recently finished the last of my Bayou Night crumble cake from years ago. Much different from the ribbon cut you would normally buy.