PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fordm60

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 19, 2014
Hi all,
I worked with the other Mods plus Kevin on capitalization of all the title words. We will now enforce this rule slightly differently! Example:"A Brief Tribute to Dr.Grabow." is correct and we will no longer make any changes to it. As some members pointed out capitalizing all words in the title is grammatically incorrect. So we listened and made the needed change. Kevin even found the below site that will provide guidance to anyone who wants it.
Thank you,

Robert.
Title assistance!

jeepnewbie

Jul 12, 2013
Byron
www.facebook.com
Interesting I like it, but have a question. Is it four letters and more, or five letters and more? Not sure if the page works right on my iPad it just caps everything except and, a, an. Maybe I'm just to tried and need some sleep.
"I Like Spam and Bacon" 4 letter. Looks good
"I like spam and Bacon" 5 letter doesn't look good

rfernand

Oct 2, 2015
tumblr_o17frv0cdu1u9u459o1_500.gif

rfernand

Oct 2, 2015
@jeepnewbie: The length is only for exceptional, contrived, hyphenated cases.
The rules are simple. Capitalize the first word, lowercase articles, prepositions, and conjunctions. Uppercase otherwise.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I Like Spam and Bacon.
Well, not Spam so much. (it has to be capitalized as it's a proper name.)
Spam and Bacon, a Treat of Rare Proportions!

Nothing to do with the length of words; what r said.
Have a Good Night and a Pleasant Tomorrow.
Thanks, Robert et al.

gordebak

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 12, 2016
Can I edit a title? I can't find it anywhere. I made some titles with words starting with lowercase letters in them.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
U SunzaBitches!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Changing the damn rules Like a Bunch Of CryBaby's at Trump Party Convention. :mrgreen:

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
That should be: "Like a Bunch of Crybabies at a Trump Party Convention" :)
On a half serious note, it'd be great if folks put something in their thread titles that gave a hint at the subject.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
On a half serious note, it'd be great if folks put something in their thread titles that gave a hint at the subject.
That would be breaking a long PM tradition. A couple of years ago we had a thread on this very topic. As a consequence, and number of one and two word titles appeared. Pipesters are contrarian.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
First, I like Rule 9 and approve the (minor) change. Titles are treated similarly to standard newspaper headlines. I think they lend a good note of style and clarity to Forums. I'd vote for giving a clear and correct idea of the subject of the thread. Partly this saves time, but also, frankly, it focuses the mind of the author so he or she decides what they're actually writing about and doesn't wander too much. On the other hand, I'm all for double entendre, intentional or otherwise. Lovat.

tmb152

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2016
I agree. It would be good enough if:
A). The title just gave some halfway real idea of the topic matter.

2). Was spelled, capitalized and punctuated halfway close to being proper English.

3). The body of the post as well (none of that texting shorthand crap).
Seriously, is this the biggest issue we have to worry about? Then someone needs to get a life. I'll be happy enough just to read interesting topics with posts of good content.
Next thing we will be worried about is dangling participles?

travelergypsy

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 15, 2016
Is taking pride in one's public image a lost art? I will admit that sometimes I am in a hurry, and type things that are grammatically incorrect. (However, most of that happens when I am posting on my phone, and autocorrect thinks it's smarter than me.)

What about beyond internet interactions? I may not be the best dressed man around, but I do take time to make myself presentable to the occasion and carry myself with a certain poise to communicate that I am both honorable and trustworthy. That said, I acknowledge that at twenty years of age, I am somewhat of a anomaly in my generation; and I am ok with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.