PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

milk

Lifer
Sep 21, 2022
Japan
The tenon look like its got threading marks. Probably from a stinger. Overall the fit and finish of the pipe stem to the stummel doesnt look so hot in the photo. Maybe part of it is the lighting or not a great photo.
Thanks for that! No sandwich talk!
Yeah, the button hole doesn’t look very open for a Reuben either. I guess it’s not a winner for some reason. IMG_6998.jpeg

Reactions: pipenschmoeker123

dingdong

Can't Leave
Apr 2, 2024
Jakarta, Indonesia
I don't think any Charatan would have a stinger..? Could be a replacement stem. Reuben to Lane is more into the stamp on the stem. Stem could be DC or not depending on pipe style.

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
In France there are zillions of old pipes where someone has screwed in a stinger. Might be a job from a tobac. It also might be the wrong stem becuase it just look off to me.

dingdong

Can't Leave
Apr 2, 2024
Jakarta, Indonesia
1718205593962.png
a) stem to shank fit
b) stamping on stem
c) stamping on shank appear to be slightly off center
d) need a new stem so the stamping will be gone anyway

all of the above may be caused by poor pictures puffy puffy puffy

Sig

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2023
Western NY
Ok. Got it. I’ve been living in Japan too long. You don’t see those here! Has anyone HAD one in the last 20 years?
Every time im forced to go to the Rod & Gun club.
That's the only place my wifes dad will go.
I suppose its better than going to his house to sit in his 4 person hot tub with his wife and him..... both in their 80s. :)
And, we make them at home occasionally.
I make both corned beef and sauerkraut....... from our homegrown cattle and cabbage.

• Wow
Reactions: Bbailey324 and milk

milk

Lifer
Sep 21, 2022
Japan
Reiben (is it spelled the same) ? certainly not Dutch nor painter. and Miller/Tom Shank puffy puffy puffy
View attachment 316801

Back to the pipe This stem is probably beyond salvage, deteriorating material? and we don't even know if the pipe got a bowl. no picture of it.
View attachment 316802
The pic has a digital glitch in it. This is on Japan auction. But I gave up on this and bought a pipe on eBay: a sandblasted Charatan that looks to be a Reuben era. I’ll post when I get it and see what people think. I’m interested in Charatan these days. Here’s the Yahoo auction Japan Charatan one that I’m passing on: IMG_6999.jpeg

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Reiben (is it spelled the same) ? certainly not Dutch nor painter. and Miller/Tom Shank puffy puffy puffy
View attachment 316801

Back to the pipe This stem is probably beyond salvage, deteriorating material? and we don't even know if the pipe got a bowl. no picture of it.
View attachment 316802
From a use point of view, there's nothing wrong with that stem, just normal oxidation/calcification. Easy to get back to black.

milk

Lifer
Sep 21, 2022
Japan
From a use point of view, there's nothing wrong with that stem, just normal oxidation/calcification. Easy to get back to black.
I thought so too. My only issue was that it did t really look like the high quality that you see with some Charatan pipes. I bought one on eBay that’s more what I was looking for. I have one Reuben Charatan that has such a nicely made stem. But I think that stem in the picture could be polished just fine.