PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gogosamgo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 5, 2015
Hello,
I recently purchased some rubber bits for my pipes to prevent marks from my teeth. Another customer at my local pipe shop mentioned to me that they prevent marks, but instead they cause discoloration. IS this true? If so do you prevent it by taking it off after every smoke and polishing the stem? Any information would be appreciated!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
The only discoloration that I noticed was on vulcanite/ebonite/cumberland stems. As the rest of the stem slowly oxidizes over time, the section covered by the rubber bit remains shiny. Still use them on my clenching pipes though.

shawnofthedead

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 5, 2015
No they do not cause discolouration. Leave them on your pipes and replace them only when they are torn.

rfernand

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 2, 2015
I tried them when I decided to try clenching, and they delivered as promised. I did not see any issues with the stems, other than additional complexity when doing routine stem maintenance (I use olive oil on them every 3 months or so)
Eventually got rid of the bits... turns out I'm not a clencher :)

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
My experience is quite opposite of Shawn's. But it may be that I used them on older pipes where oxidation would be more prevalent.
Removing the guard after a smoke and wiping down the bit will keep things right- and is more sanitary to boot.

tobyducote

Lifer
Jun 10, 2012
New Orleans
I've never had them cause discoloration on my stems....oxidation is usually caused by heat and direct sunlight exposure...keep your pipes out of the sun and they should do fine

shawnofthedead

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 5, 2015
I don't think you should get too OCD when it comes to smoking, even though I'm bit of a clean freak myself. Unless you also clean your stem with alcohol before every smoke, I doubt just sanitising the rubber bit is gonna make a difference. Plus each time you pull them off there is a chance you might tear them, or just reduce their lifespan in general. Your stem is gonna get dirty with or without the rubber, so just clean it every once in a while.

papajoe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2014
I also find that they cause discoloration. Maybe because of the saliva that is gathering beneath them. So I take them off after every smoke and clean the stem with a dry piece of cloth. I only put them on when I smoke but got used to them and can't smoke without them.

Status
Not open for further replies.