PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
Just had my first couple of bowls of Royal Yacht and found it to be rather flavorless. Smoked it in a MM Patriot and found it to taste almost "cigarette like" in flavor. Probably won't be purchasing anymore real soon.

Can anyone tell me if this is better when aged? Maybe I should jar and cellar it for a bit.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
05venturer, was that a filtered or unfiltered MM Patriot? I have an unopened tin of Royal Yacht I'm aging.

It often seems to be a polarizing blend. People either like it or don't like it at all. I've never heard anyone

say it is flavorless, though. Often I hear that about Burleys; some people just don't taste it. RY seems to

always get credit for being unusual -- good or bad.

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
@ rothnh, thanks for the expert advise my friend. I appreciate it friend
@ mso489

Patriot is unfiltered.

When I do use a filter in any of my pipes it is a homemade Balsa wood filter.

easterntraveler

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 29, 2012
Sorry to hear your experience was bad. I love the stuff. A regular smoke for me. Nice mellow smoke and when I want an explosion of flavor I retrohale. It's wierd I can control the amount of flavor with this blend. However I have been smoking a bowl of it every day for the entire month.

nachman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2013
I smoke a lot of RY, but never with less than two years age on it. It does improve, but after about seven years it seems to me to go downhill.

Dec 24, 2012
I tried some RY recently. I didn't hate it, but I didn't love it either. The casing (tasted like maple to me) was a bit too much for me. Still, I can see it as a once in awhile smoke.

dukdalf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 24, 2011
As announced in another R.Y. thread, I opened one of my close-to-twenty-years old tins yesterday. It did not make a lasting impression. Not too bad, not very good either, but certainly not worth aging this long.

dlattim

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 27, 2012
Royal Yacht has to be smoked very slowly and cool to get the full flavor. Smoked this way I find the flavor matches the tin note quite well. I get a slight sweetness with a tinge of raisin flavor. There is a slight fresh hay like quality to it that I like. This tobacco can be smoked straight out of the tin with no drying time. The nicotine is on the strong side, but I like that. It is an everyday smoke for me. I can see from the several threads on this blend that some get it (and like it) and some don't, but isn't that the way for most blends? Smoke what you like.

Status
Not open for further replies.