PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

briarfriar

Can't Leave
The UK's Express ran a story on Tuesday about the multitude of Christmas gifts sent to British troops in 1914 by Princess Mary, daughter of George V and Queen Mary. Officers received silver boxes and enlisted men received brass boxes containing some of the comforts of home, from candies to cigarettes. Also included were pipes and tobaccos! No details on what kinds, unfortunately.

Read all about it and see the photos here.

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It seems the civilian population was to some degree protected from the gruesomeness of the war, though the numbers of dead and returning wounded slowly made the realities dawn on the home folks. The kindnesses extended were probably seen as both the intended morale boost and a hint of the disparity between the published ideas of the war and its realities. For years, an advance was a suicide mission from both sides, and these were done with regularity and alarming efficiency. Pipes feature in photos of the troops in the trenches and staging areas. My wife's dad was a teenage dough boy in the U.S. Army during World War I, and spent the rest of his life contending with disabilities from poison gas attacks. He married late, and had a child late, hence the generational discrepancy. I associate WWI more with my grandfather's generation or one between him and my father's WWII cohort.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I have comment on this several times on here over the years and even recently regarding various relatives. The Christmas 1914 boxes do show up on Ebay although the ones with unopened tobacco and cigarettes are getting pretty rare and very expensive.

Reactions: diamondback

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Those were for Winston Churchill. During his time at the front in the first half of 1916 he smoked about a million cigars each month.
There's 720 hours in one month.
Do the math. One million?

Even the most committed cigar smoker could not smoke 1,000,000 in an entire lifetime.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
back when i was before 10, my grandfather owned a building in seoul, korea. on certain holidays, rok military will parade through front of the building. i remember my father throwing packs of cigarettes to the soldiers. boxes and boxes of them. they were very happy soldiers.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I have seen boxes given WW1 troops who were wounded and then evacuated which contained cigarettes, tobacco and a smallish pipe and a cord friction lighter. My Auntie Mary was something of a hoarder and we found loads of stuff like that after she passed away in the early 1980s. I assume her brother used to bring the stuff home when on leave as they must have been given out if they had spares or somehow he picked it up from a friend. When I am next in the U.K I'll have to take a picture of a trench lighter designed to be stuck it to trench wall made from a cut down Krupps shell.

magicpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2018
MCO
Those tins do pop up on eBay occasionally but for a pretty penny. On youtube, Vlad the Inhaler did a video showing his. Was I very good shape. I’d love to have one but their prices are usually pretty steep by the time they make it to the States.

Lyon0oq

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 31, 2012
New Providence, NJ
I have comment on this several times on here over the years and even recently regarding various relatives. The Christmas 1914 boxes do show up on Ebay although the ones with unopened tobacco and cigarettes are getting pretty rare and very expensive.
Do you have a photo of one, curious to see what they looked like.

Status
Not open for further replies.