PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsheridan

Lurker
May 19, 2019
Hello all,

Now, this might be a strange question... But I was wondering if there is a place I can purchase round-tipped stems to mimic the feel of a clay pipe? I took a smoke in my uncle's clay pipe and loved the feel of the stem, but prefer briar bowls. I've tried to find them online, and I can't seem to get anywhere. Any help would be appreciated!

Cheers,

J.S.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Hello all,

Now, this might be a strange question... But I was wondering if there is a place I can purchase round-tipped stems to mimic the feel of a clay pipe? I took a smoke in my uncle's clay pipe and loved the feel of the stem, but prefer briar bowls. I've tried to find them online, and I can't seem to get anywhere. Any help would be appreciated!

Cheers,

J.S.
a hobbit type churchwarden maybe? I believe there are ones made that have a birch or other wood type stem and a briar bowl?

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
The pipe term for that style is “orofic.” Many of the early 20th century pipes had this type of stem. Even a few of my early Dunhills have a very round tip. I would think you could have some made for you by a competent pipe guy without much of a problem.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
orific bits just don't have a slot in the button.. they still have a button which a clay pipe does not. The vauen has no button, either.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Yeah, the only one's I know of are the Vauen Auenland churchwardens. Which are great smokers, btw, I have two. Pricey, but much cheaper overseas at Esterval's, if one were so inclined.

jsheridan

Lurker
May 19, 2019
The pipe term for that style is “orofic.” Many of the early 20th century pipes had this type of stem. Even a few of my early Dunhills have a very round tip. I would think you could have some made for you by a competent pipe guy without much of a problem.
Interesting! Do you have someone you suggest? I wouldn't even know where to look!

jsheridan

Lurker
May 19, 2019
orific bits just don't have a slot in the button.. they still have a button which a clay pipe does not. The vauen has no button, either.
Yeah, I'm looking for no button, if I'm understanding correctly. It felt a lot easier and more comfortable to hold in my mouth than the Vulcanite stems, even the acrylic.

Reactions: danimalia

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
Interesting! Do you have someone you suggest? I wouldn't even know where to look!
I bet Anthony Cook could make something like that very easy, although I do think he’s a bit booked-up at the moment. Maybe ask Walker Briar Works if they’d do one or a few for you?

Reactions: danimalia

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
Rattray's made a series of pipes called Misfit with round "pacifier" bits... I'd love to have one of these. Unfortunately they are out of production.
download (3).jpeg

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Rattray's made a series of pipes called Misfit with round "pacifier" bits... I'd love to have one of these. Unfortunately they are out of production.
View attachment 15955
Missouri Meerschaum's Cob Cigar and Chris Morgan's Briar Cigar have those stems.

5769845_orig.jpg

Reactions: dmcmtk and rushx9

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
Many of the old style pipes from Germany and the Tyrol have round tip stems. The ones I refer to are often called gesteckpfeife/jägerpfeife. Vauen has a modern interpretation of the style called the Enzian.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think a pipe repairman could make you a good version of this that would be tailored to fit your pipe. This would be about thirty bucks and shipping, but you probably need to consult by phone or email, and maybe send photos, so you are sure he/she understands what you want. Trying to find readymade replacement stems for pipes, even factory made pipes, is usually not successful. You want one that matches where the stem meets the shank.

Reactions: BROBS and Casual
Status
Not open for further replies.