PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I suspect the fact that they were used for "heavy English blends" is just a coincidence. I have many pipes over 50 years old, that have been smoked with nothing but English and never encountered a problem. puffy
But you keep your pipes clean. The ones I've come across had cake so thick that you couldn't fit a pencil in the chamber and the draft holes were plugged.

Reactions: yanoJL and Cap

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
What exactly is sour pipe?
I have read many opinions on this but leave me still asking what exactly is it?
A sour pipe is when you get an awful rank and disagreeable taste from your pipe.

It is much more likely a result of a dirty airway or mortise (due to accumulation of tars and dried condensate) than a moist bowl.

Pipe cleaners after each smoke or a hot water flush will go a long way to eliminating this problem.

Last edited:

Cap

Might Stick Around
Oct 8, 2022
S.W Michigan (For Now)
A condition where the pipe has a nasty flavor to it. Though I've never personally had it happen, my guess would be it's caused by failure to keep a pipe properly cleaned between smokes.

Was it an estate pipe? I've ran across ammonia in estate pieces that were used for heavy English blends.
No it was a store bought dr grabow. Didnt smoke English. Its the only one that has ever done it.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
No it was a store bought dr grabow. Didnt smoke English. Its the only one that has ever done it.
Wow, if it came new like that, I would've tosses it out as well. Something was wrong there.

Reactions: Cap

Pipe&Chess

Might Stick Around
Jul 26, 2022
Brazil
There are some who have a veritable cornucopia of pipes, and there are some who only have one, and everything in between. It's whatever works for you, and whatever provides the most enjoyment. Pipe smoking is way too subjective a pastime to have any accounting for taste. Like most things.

I myself am a minimalist. Large amounts of possessions give me anxiety, and pipes are no exception--having 100 pipes, or 50, or even 20...I can practically feel my own blood pressure rising at the thought of it. Counting cobs, I have 8, and that's more than enough for me. I have three main pipes, a Savinelli Tortuga 614 faux Oom Paul (it's more of an extremely bent billiard) for aromatics, a Savinelli Bacco 321 bent author for anything with latakia in it, and a Stefano Santambrogio bent Rhodesian for everything else, which is VAs, burleys, VaBurs and VaPers. These pipes all have fairly large bowls, so I also have a "brother" pipe for each one, all of which have smaller bowls.

I separate these blends to avoid ghosting, but I'll put anything in the cobs. It took me a while to figure out a system that worked for me, but once I did, I was happy with it, and I intend to stick with it. Some people separate even more fastidiously, some less. Which brings my diatribe back full circle to the original point--it's all a matter of individual preference. The most commonly used acronym on here (and rightly so) is YMMV: Your Mileage May Vary.
Liked your approach! And taking notes of which pipe you chose for each type of tobacco (knowing that this is very personal, of course, it is not a one-size-fits-all-pipe smokers). I imagine that when you mentioned a “brother” pipe means the same brand/type, only smaller?

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
Liked your approach! And taking notes of which pipe you chose for each type of tobacco (knowing that this is very personal, of course, it is not a one-size-fits-all-pipe smokers). I imagine that when you mentioned a “brother” pipe means the same brand/type, only smaller?
Correct. I should note, however, that I have since perfected my ability to pack less-than-full bowls in those three main pipes--anywhere from a quarter full to three-fourths full (or three-quarters empty to one quarter empty for those who want to open THAT can of worms! :LOL:). Since figuring this part out, I've not been using those "brother" pipes nearly as much.

I should also note that I now have 11 pipes, and verging on the anxiety spells I mentioned earlier! I'm kidding, of course...receiving gifts from others is an efficient, natural form of anxiety relief in its own right, and of the 11, six were gifted to me.

Pipe&Chess

Might Stick Around
Jul 26, 2022
Brazil
Correct. I should note, however, that I have since perfected my ability to pack less-than-full bowls in those three main pipes--anywhere from a quarter full to three-fourths full (or three-quarters empty to one quarter empty for those who want to open THAT can of worms! :LOL:). Since figuring this part out, I've not been using those "brother" pipes nearly as much.

I should also note that I now have 11 pipes, and verging on the anxiety spells I mentioned earlier! I'm kidding, of course...receiving gifts from others is an efficient, natural form of anxiety relief in its own right, and of the 11, six were gifted to me.
I made good note of your wise use of resources regarding the pipe collection. But I will certainly refrain to comment such thing to my wife, as for a mere “lurker” I am already near 25 pipes… and as for my own description to her, it is a puny and embarassing figure compared to other fellow pipers worldwide. So far she believes me…:LOL: