PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Ray in Bangkok

Might Stick Around
Oct 28, 2020
Bangkok, Thailand
I just bought a series of handmade rosewood pipes. I was wondering if it was a good purchase, is rosewood a good wood for handmade pipes. (Kinda of a late question to ask as I already bought 5!)

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
And I quote.. "Toxicity. The dust created from sanding rosewood is known to be a sensitizing irritant and can trigger asthma and other respiratory ailments. Continual or heightened exposure can increase sensitivity."

Reactions: Merton

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Besides the toxicity problem with making rosewood pipes, I think they are down the list in terms of alternate woods from the perspective of durability and suitability. In wood pipes, briar is the all-time champ. Woods that have proven to be acceptable substitutes, sort of the second tier, might include Mountain Laurel and maple. Below them would come olive wood and beech, and rosewood and cocobolo and such would come below that because of toxicity problems and lesser durability. I'm no great authority on this, but after decades of pipe shopping, thats how i size up the issue.

Since you have five rosewood pipes, give them a try. They may fill the bill, and be less stressed in rotation. Just be aware that if you have any respiratory hang-up you didn't have before, you may want to get briar, meerschaum, clay, and/or cobs instead, which are all proven dependable pipe materials.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
There are many varieties of wood labelled as "Rosewood"
Not all are necessarily of the same genus.
Some can be toxic. So you need to know exactly what you are getting.

Some rosewoods are endangered species with restrictions on their sale and commercial use.

Unfortunately it is doubtful if you will get the correct information from the pipe maker.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Hmm, he’s in Bangkok, maybe Rosewood is a thing over there... 🤔

Now Olive wood is an alternative that is common, and then there’s corncob.

There’s a Carsten Fischer in Thailand that makes pipes, or use to, and a VaVa Pipe, not sure if this is his business name.

This is his Facebook link. I can see it without needing to be logged into Facebook.

Last edited:

Coreios

Lifer
Sep 23, 2022
United States Of America
If it's real Rosewood I'd avoid it as many others said some Rosewood is toxic. Briar is the go to wood for pipes. Pear and olive are okay but Briar is king. I doubt theyd sell anything deadly, but it will probably smoke bad. I heard of some saying it made them feel ill.

Reactions: Merton

Briar Tuck

Lifer
Nov 29, 2022
Oregon coast
There are a lot of new pipes for sale coming out of China made of rosewood, pear, or ebony. I have an ebony wood pipe from a Whitluck's kit that I bought on Amazon. It smokes fine and looks decent, but it's also quite heavy. I rarely smoke it since getting into briars, meerschaums and cobs.

Reactions: Coreios

Coreios

Lifer
Sep 23, 2022
United States Of America
Besides any wood...

Let’s not forget Meerschaum... ;)
There are a lot of new pipes for sale coming out of China made of rosewood, pear, or ebony. I have an ebony wood pipe from a Whitluck's kit that I bought on Amazon. It smokes fine and looks decent, but it's also quite heavy. I rarely smoke it since getting into briars, meerschaums and cobs.
I bought some Chinese pipes when I first started. I thought they smoked fine until I got a Briar. But they are heavy as hell. It's a shame because a lot of them are really pretty.