PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Donb1972

Can't Leave
Feb 9, 2022
Erie, PA
Dark Flake Scented (or Aromatic, or A) has geranium as its main note. Ennerdale has it back way in the back for me.
Regarding adding oil to a blend, don’t know, should be careful because essential oils are usually extremely strong. Also need to find a way to probably dilute and vaporize it to spread evenly, otherwise you’ll get hot spots of it on the blend which when you smoke could turn out your lights.
Thanks. I ordered some Dark Flake and Ennerdale. The ghost in the pipe just brings back memories, but I suppose I better taste it before I start messing with essential oils!

Reactions: dcon and kschatey

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
Thanks. I ordered some Dark Flake and Ennerdale. The ghost in the pipe just brings back memories, but I suppose I better taste it before I start messing with essential oils!
I decided to finally get a tin of Ennerdale to try as well. I'm a nicotine wussy, so Dark Flake is likely far beyond my tolerance!

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
I have been told several times that both St. Bruno and Hansom Flake have the Lakeland rose geranium essence as well to some degree, but I have yet to find it in their aromas or flavors.

I get a smidge of it from Bob's Chocolate (now CH) Flake and a smidge more from Bob's Square Cut.

I decided to finally get a tin of Ennerdale to try as well. I'm a nicotine wussy, so Dark Flake is likely far beyond my tolerance!
I don't really find Dark Flake to have much of that Rose Geranium. What the hell concoction is exactly making that taste, I have no idea, but it doesn't taste like roses like the Kendal flake does. I also don't find Ennerdale to have that rose taste at all. In fact, as I read through this thread, I have no fucking idea what these guys are all tasting, ha ha. Rose Geranium is the specific taste of rose soap, and I don't find that in many of their blends, just the Kendal. Rose geranium may be a small ingredient in DF and Ennerdale, but it's not enough to bring it to the forefront like that nasty Kendal mess. YMMV, because maybe GH&co is just so damned random, that they got rose flavored stuff that I didn't because they don't know what the hell their doing in the factory. Or, they do know what they are doing, and it is just trying to f with all of us by making each iteration of their product completely different.

I realize that GH&co may be watching these threads, but if we don't speak the truth, how can we help them? If we just kiss their ass, they'll just keep on being more and more random. YMMV

I was only going by the smell of the pipe(which is best described as old lady perfume-y, floral-y)and what I have read other people say. I have never tasted rose geranium, so I am not 100% certain about it.
ALL of the Lakeland flavors are ingredients from the chemical perfume industry. Rose Geranium specifically smells like the little pink rose shaped soaps they sold in Dollar Stores in the 1950's. It is a fake rose smell. Specifically not a real rose smell. But, in essence all Lakelands are from some sort of old fashioned women's perfumes.

Donb1972

Can't Leave
Feb 9, 2022
Erie, PA
ALL of the Lakeland flavors are ingredients from the chemical perfume industry. Rose Geranium specifically smells like the little pink rose shaped soaps they sold in Dollar Stores in the 1950's. It is a fake rose smell. Specifically not a real rose smell. But, in essence all Lakelands are from some sort of old fashioned women's perfumes.
Yes! That is the smell! My Grandmother had little, pink, seashell, soaps that no one was allowed to wash their hands with, haha. I didn't even think of it until you mentioned it, but yes, that is what the pipe smells like, although more muted.

Reactions: lightmybriar
Yes! That is the smell! My Grandmother had little, pink, seashell, soaps that no one was allowed to wash their hands with, haha. I didn't even think of it until you mentioned it, but yes, that is what the pipe smells like, although more muted.
There may be more of the GH&co blends that have that aroma, but Kendal Flake was the first one that it hit me in the face with that smell. There may be a little drop or two in other lakelands, but it's not the primary flavor in them. If another blend is as strong with it as Kendal Flake, I am just not aware of it, and for the reason that I avoid it like the plague. I am repulsed by it, and I even deem those who do like it with severe skepticism. Hmmmm... Ha ha. But, I do like DF scented from time to time and even Ennerdale, and I don't taste roses at all in those. But, it could be in the mix with the other perfumes they load into them. Just not a main player.

Reactions: lightmybriar

theloniousmonkfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2017
Are you guys just saying anything with a lakeland taste is rose geranium? Or, do you even know what rose geranium tastes like?
Dark Plug Rose Geranium, rip, was the best. Grasmere, if we see it again, was pretty up front with it too. Ennerdale is lemon and almonds and skittles and spring meadow or whatever, not RG.

Real rose geranium essential oil is distilled from the leaves of the rose geranium plant, no roses involved.

Dark Plug Rose Geranium, rip, was the best. Grasmere, if we see it again, was pretty up front with it too. Ennerdale is lemon and almonds and skittles and spring meadow or whatever, not RG.

Real rose geranium essential oil is distilled from the leaves of the rose geranium plant, no roses involved.
Grasmere was lemongrass, right? It kills me how GH&co used things that smelled like other things, making all of their fragrances to be "almost" the real thing. Rose Geranium, not real roses. Lemongrass, not real lemons. Isoamyl acetate, not real fruit. Just an observation.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
Hello all!

I'm really interested in trying something with a heavy rose geranium component, as one of my Grandfather's pipes is clearly saturated with it, and I could probably never use it with anything else, haha. From the reviews I've seen, G & H's Dark Flake seems to be heavier with it(is Dark Flake Scented the same as Dark Flake Aromatic?) than Ennerdale. Is that an accurate conclusion?

Is there any other tobacco out there that goes heavy on the rose geranium?
Do you know for sure your granddad was smoking English scented tobaccos? They were never that common in the US and had to be sought out. A more widely available American floral tobacco was Mixture 79. Or Field & Stream which is available only as a Sutliff Match which is not very much like the House of Windsor F&S I knew.

theloniousmonkfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2017
Grasmere was lemongrass, right? It kills me how GH&co used things that smelled like other things, making all of their fragrances to be "almost" the real thing. Rose Geranium, not real roses. Lemongrass, not real lemons. Isoamyl acetate, not real fruit. Just an observation.
And Nico Glycerol. I don't know what's in the stuff but I can't stop smoking it