PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
I think once ebonite was widely available nearly every pipe maker discontinued bone, horn and in many cases amber since they were much more work intensive and ebonite more durable.

I'm not hard on my stems and even have some all briar pipes with a briar stem and none of my horn or briar stems have teeth marks I just let the pipe hang by the button or clench the opposite side of my teeth to keep the stem in between my teeth. Headed out to have some Louisiana Flake in my Ligne Bretagne ,by Trevor Talbert, which has a horn stem, cheers.

banjo

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I'm really glad I read this thread. I've got an old estate Ropp pipe with a metal tenon that fits into a cork lined shank. I thought the stem had some oxidation that I've been patiently sanding away on. I now realize the stem is horn. :oops:

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
You guys who ordered this time probably have your shipping notices by now. Mine is projected to be here Wed the 5th.

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
[/quote]Does anyone have any indication - other than the blurb at SP.com - that these are from the earlier part of the 20th century?
http://www.smokingpipes.com/smokingpipesblog/single.cfm/post/ropp-past-present-future

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
tuold, no worries just polish it with a rough rag until it shines and the coat it with bees wax and buff it out.

banjo

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
fishnbanjo wrote:
tuold, no worries just polish it with a rough rag until it shines and the coat it with bees wax and buff it out.
I'll do that. Yeah, I was starting to get suspicious. I'd never seen oxidation that went all the way through the stem.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I like my Ropp a lot, a straight apple with silver-toned band, red stain and raspberry stem (no horn). The draw is tight but not restrictive; does a nice job on Virginias. I'll look at these.

sjfine

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 4, 2012
Thanks, davet. Interesting read.
My pipe arrived, but I'm out of town until this evening, so I'll get it, and smoke it on Wednesday.

sjfine

Mar 4, 2012
Ok, update time.
I have to stop buying these.
Since my first, I have picked up the Rhodesian, and these two:

skraps

Sep 9, 2015
I check these out every time there is an update, but always pass. I love the sleek profile and the overall aesthetics, but they all fall short in my desired length. (insert smart ass joke here :roll: )

swilford

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 30, 2010
Longs, SC
corporate.laudisi.com
I have a question, though. Part of my excitement comes from the history of these Ropps. Does anyone have any indication - other than the blurb at SP.com - that these are from the earlier part of the 20th century? For example, did Ropp stop using bone for stems at some point? I have tried to research this on my own, but there is scant information out there.
It's somewhat more complicated than that, but the stummels (the 'heads,' the raw bowls) are from the early 20th century (perhaps creeping into the mid-20th century; it's tough to tell what was made exactly when at this point). They're made by the Chapuis-Comoy factory today (maker of Chacom, owned by Antoine Grenard), who acquired the brand, some machinery, the stamps and old bowl and briar stock from Ropp when it closed decades ago.
Antoine and I decided to use the Ropp brand for this, but we weren't chasing specific Ropp shapes or styles from a particular period. We put together (and are still putting together; this has been more evolutionary, across discussions and emails for a couple of years now, than it probably seems from the outside) a bunch of shapes and styles that are evocative of early 20th century French pipes. So, lots of horn stems, lots of smaller, straight pipes, simple stains.
The reason that we can do this with existing bowl stock is a) a lot more pipes were made in St. Claude 75 years ago than is the case today, and b) tastes shifted towards larger, bent pipes in the 1960s and 1970s and have sort of stayed that way. So, during that period, they found themselves awash in bowls for which there was little demand.
Recently, smaller pipes have become more popular again--really, it's still a niche project; we're talking perhaps 1,000 pipes a year--and the magic of the internet makes a project like this possible.
As for finding sources other than the blurb at SP.com, there's not going to be a whole lot out there (except that which comes by way of us or Antoine), since this was conceived in its present incarnation by Antoine and me.
Best,
Sykes

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
The cutty's are nice but the rhody variations really stand out to me. They tend to have thick walls but remain gracile.

sjfine

Mar 4, 2012
My cutty is my favorite. Great little pipe.
And, thank you, Sykes. I don't understand what you said, except that I know know that I am participating in history in the making.
Neat line.

Status
Not open for further replies.