PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

stluisrey

Might Stick Around
Oct 19, 2010
Orange, CA
I have 500 grams GH Happy Brown Bogie, and 500 grams Brown Irish Twist coming in this week. I will be storing these rope tobaccos in mason jars. How do you guys fill the mason jars with this tobacco? Do you shove it the jar kind of weaving around the inside of the jar with the rope tobacco? Do you cut the tobacco into smaller pieces and stack them inside the mason jar? What's the best ways of stuffing the jars with this type of tobacco?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Don't cut up the lengths of rope, since this exposes more of the leaf to air, and they'll retain moisture and flavor better uncut. Just wind them in the jar tight as you can. They'll last forever ... that is, a long time.

mackeson

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2016
You had me at

I have 500 grams GH Happy Brown Bogie, and 500 grams Brown Irish Twist coming in this week
I've never bought that quantity, so jarring was probably a bit easier for me, but I second the opinion of don't cut it up

hmhaines

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 5, 2016
CT
I have it both ways. I ordered some (1oz) and jarred it whole. I was sent about 10oz as part of a trade and that was cut into 1/2"-1" chunks.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
As you said, you can re-coil it after it is out of the bag. It's actually a pretty smooth operation. The happy bogie, with its smaller gauge and tighter wrap, will be the easier of the two. I'd do that one first to get the hang of it..
PS. Don't let the nail freak you out.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
500 gram box of brown bogie fits into 3 mason jars, I forget what the size is but it's the most common size. Ideally it would be better to get several small jars in my opinion, as it's a lot of tobacco per jar

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
The 500 gm ropes usually come in tightly wound coils in a vacuum sealed pouch. I cut the coil about midway & placed each half in wide mouth pint mason jars.

As an alternative, they could be stored in heal-sealed mylar ziplock storage bags.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
Where are you guys at that you are getting 500g boxes, or vacuum sealed pouches of bogey? I've never seen them in anything but heavy waxed paper bags....

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Where are you guys at that you are getting 500g boxes, or vacuum sealed pouches of bogey? I've never seen them in anything but heavy waxed paper bags....

Yes, it was a bag straight from the factory, coiled up inside. Just used to seeing 500 gram box for G&H products. Even says that when you buy it.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I did what MSO suggested. It was really hard to cut this beautiful piece of art up to get it into jars though.
img_15631-450x600.jpg

I like to store my tobacco in small jars, it took several jars because ya can't fit much rope into an 8oz jar, but I just rolled them in there and kept the rope as long as I possibly could.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
I cut the ropes into sections and set them on their ends in the jar as if they were cinnamon sticks. This does expose more surface area to air, but leaves less air in the jar.

stluisrey

Might Stick Around
Oct 19, 2010
Orange, CA
I don't chew tobacco often, but I decided to chew some Brown Bogie today. Flavor was as I expected, dirt/earth and very spicy tobacco flavor. If you think the nicotine hit is intense from smoking it, it is more intense chewing it. WOW. But I prefer to smoke it.

Status
Not open for further replies.