PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

deepspringfarm

Might Stick Around
Dec 29, 2013
I just purchased some sweet maple twist. I've been a pipe smoker for 25 years, but have never encountered a rope before, mostly out of fear.

Anyway, this this is awesome in it's presentation. I am a bit unsure of how to prepare it. My guess would be to slice it into coins and then crumble it into my bowl.

Any suggestions? My friend and I split this, he took it home and reports that he does not pick up any maple flavor.

hmhaines

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 5, 2016
CT
I slice it about 1/8 to 1/16 with a cigar cutter and then rub them out. Could prepare as coins, however you eo that will work!

jabo

Can't Leave
Jan 26, 2016
Rope tobacco, ah what a lovely thing ! Yes, slice it thin,chop it up or rub it out. Critical ! ! Let it really dry some. You will be amazed at the flavors that come through. Hope you enjoy.

deepspringfarm

Might Stick Around
Dec 29, 2013

You're doing it wrong.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Slice it and rub it out, like the guys say, and if you have a knife given you by Justin Wilson, by all means use that. Just hearing Justin talk was worth tuning in. I loved it when he added the hot sauce or wine, and when he sat down at the end of the show to eat what he'd made, alone. Always joked about wearing both a belt and suspenders, saying he was a safety officer. Never had any helpers, just him and the kitchen. Anyone who hasn't had acquaintance with a professional chef, the knives are religion to these guys. Basically, just stay away from their knives, because you can't do anything right related to what you cut and how you cut it.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
I have tried the maple rope and don't detect any maple either. You are not alone. It does pack a lot of nic.

mackeson

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2016
I just use one of my spyderco knives (I keep 'em sharp) to slice it just over 1/8" and less than 1/4" thick and then pull it apart. Allow a bit of dry time and ---yum.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I've never tried any rope,primarily because I'm not much for complicated prep.

I understand,however, that the knife blade on the traditional pipe knife was intended to cut rope and plug tobacco. I carry one, even though I don't use the blade for that, as a nod to the history of the hobby.

It's just like this.

pipe-knife.jpg

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
My guess would be to slice it into coins and then crumble it into my bowl.
Your instinct is correct. There are two general schools of thought here:
1. Rough cut. As 1coyote says:
Deepspring, that rope tobacco needs to be sliced roughly 1/4" thick then cut in half.
2. Fine cut. As hmhaines says:
I slice it about 1/8 to 1/16 with a cigar cutter and then rub them out.
In other words, if you cut wide, you will have to cut again. If you cut thin, you will get long thin ropes like Brown Twist Sliced which pack like a thicker shag.
In either case, it helps to let it dry a bit. The ropes tend to be oilier and damper than most blends.

One of the nice things about one of these...

419StSP-DuL._SY355_.jpg

...is that if you want a rough cut, just pop the handle a couple of times, and if you want a fine shag, just pop the handle a hundred times. The biggest drawback is that if your wife catches you using her dicer is that it doesn't fit comfortably or easily in your rectum. :puffy:

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Yup, I just recently cut up my Brown Bogie into coins and then threw them into my Ninja and it turned out great! It makes for some easy loading (gravity fill) and smoking.

Status
Not open for further replies.