PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

grouchydog

Can't Leave
Oct 16, 2013
Man, y'all are making me wanna try some rope... I may have some TAD money coming around in the next month or so, I should probably include some. 8)

thesmokingtexan

Can't Leave
Jul 11, 2014
Ok I got my brown Irish x in today. As soon as these kids go to bed I am going to load a bowl and take a big old sold hit. Wish me luck

thesmokingtexan

Can't Leave
Jul 11, 2014
Ok I survived and actually really enjoyed it. It did have a strong flavor and a high nic level but it was actually very smooth and tasty. There was no bite and the flavor was a sweet nutty dark and woodsy. The smell reminded me of the dark moist earthy smell of decomposing logs in a forest. I am not talking about a bad smell it was just really dark moist and earthy. One down side was it was very moist. I will defiantly have to let this sit out for quite a few hours and maybey even a day to get a really good smoke out of it. During this first smoke it went out over and over again and by the end I was having to relight so much that it just got hot and tiresome so I dumped the last third. However once this gets a good drying period I think this will have a permant spot on my shelf for just the right occasions

grouchydog

Can't Leave
Oct 16, 2013
Man that sounds good!
As an aside (and with apologies for the derailment), does anyone else just NOT get a nic-hit at all from pipes? I must be immune or something - my last cigar night was a larger-sized Padron 64th Anni chased by a Camacho Triple Maduro, and I didn't feel a thing...

algenib

Lurker
Jan 8, 2014
Orlando, FL
I haven't tried any ropes yet, Grouchy, but I'm with you in that I don't ever get a nic kick from the pipe if I don't inhale. I'll have to smoke a LFD Double Ligero just to feel any amount of nicotine, and even then it isn't too strong.
We'll see though. I've comprised half my next TAD list of heavy nic tobaccos (SG Brown Twist No. 4, Five Brothers, Irish Flake, and Old Joe Krantz) so we'll see if any have an effect on me.
To keep on topic - Can anybody comment on the differences between SG and GH's brown twists in regards to which hits harder?

toby67

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2014
Australia
Until I became a member of this forum I knew very little about different types of tobacco among other things. You guys have taught me so much that I have managed to skip the unpleasant mistakes one makes as a beginner.
About rope tobacco though? Is it as compressed as cube tobacco or is it loose enough that you can you cut 3/4" to just put in your pipe and light up?
Again thank you to everyone for the "tricks of the trade" that have made my piping experience mostly a pleasant beginning, I feel proud to be a member umongst you all.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
Trail boss I smoke the cherry rope from time to time. It has a very natural flavor, almost like it is uncured.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
At least starting out, I think a Peterson Belgique or a Old Dominion Chesapeake, really small pipes, would be ideal for

sampling rope. If it doesn't give you too much trouble, you could graduate to something a little larger. Or that would

be my approach.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I hate to bring it to everyone's attention, but Newminster Superior Slices are from a rope.

I love em. So...they'll either go through the roof pricewise, or become extinct.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I love ropes. Black or Brown it makes no difference to me but I do tend to avoid the flavored offerings. I find that added to my every day tobacco they have the effect of stepping up the nicotine yield withot interfering with the flavor. The biggest mistake the novice usually makes is to cut the rope slices to fat or worse still slice the rope and think the coins can be smoked without rubbing out. I find that by slicing the coins to a 1/8th inch thickness and then rubbing out and mixing with your everyday tobacco you get a good even and cool smoke.

toby67

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2014
Australia
@ trailboss- thanks for the pictures, they look cool. Makes me think about getting some for the occassional bowl and for storing to gaze in awe at the different methods of making tobacco for us pipers

Oct 12, 2014
I smoke ropes daily. I would suggest any of the Gawith offerings, haven't had a bad one yet. Or Cotton Boll. Tough to find but a great smoke. Use a double bladed cigar cutter cut some coins out and rub it out. What I do after that is scoop it up in my palm and then carefully feed it back through the cutter clipping constantly. You can make so it's like a cube cut. Let dry to your preferred case and smoke away. Dont forget to age some. Yum! Daily smokes for me. Just ordered another 500g yesterday.

nurseman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 8, 2014
Trying happy brown bogey now in a cob . Really great flavor - I cut 1.25 inch and let it dry for 2 hours.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I've been smoking rope for years and enjoy Brown and Black Irish X. Yes, they are strong, the strongest of the strong blends out there, but not that much stronger than Dark Flake or 1792, one of which I smoke daily, Dark Flake sometimes all day. To me sometimes only an HO (high octane, high nicotine) will do, but other times such is merely strong.
I went through a period of time when all I smoked were HOs; now it's more like 50%. One of the drawbacks of such a diet is that the range of flavors available in them is limited. While there's a limited number of tobaccos that can deliver punch, there are many others that cannot that nonetheless, obviously, can provide much smoking enjoyment.

May 31, 2012
I had sort of given up on ropes just because they are too harsh for me (when smoked straight), but I've never tried the black variety so I may give it another go.
I was completely surprised when I smoked some ancient Plover's Pigtail at how absolutely smooth it was, while at the same time being superstout, and carrying the earthy cigar spiciness profile as well, so it seems to me that age treats the rope very very very well indeed...
R1edshpl.jpg

5gkCpYol.jpg

5CHzksNl.jpg

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
I picked up an eight year old tin of Brown #4 was very surprised when I popped it. It was covered in sugar crystals and had smoothed out considerably. I do not smoke a lot of ropes but Brown #4 is the one I usually go with.
That Plovers Pigtail looks wonderful!

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Dark Flake scented is also good. Yes, it has Lakeland scenting, but compared to other Lakeland blends, it's done with restraint. The tobacco still tastes like itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.