PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
Like the OP, I'm exclusively an outdoor pipe smoker. Living in a remote small town in the mountains is probably a plus when it comes to room note tolerance of those around me (as opposed to my previous residence, smack dab in the middle of urban Los Angeles). I'm not horribly concerned with what people around me think--like Warren said on the previous page, I'm smoking for my own enjoyment. That said, I partake of all kinds of blends, including aromatics, so I figure there's nothing wrong or dishonest about favoring them in the relatively few situations when I'm around other people. Here's an example: I played golf last week for the first time in three years, and for the first time smoking a pipe. If I felt like an English blend at the time, I would've smoked one, but as I mentioned, I love aromatics too...it was only natural to pick one, which Drew Estate Central Park Stroll most certainly is, and I enjoyed the hell out of it. Only my playing partner noticed; I got more compliments on my half-swing 4-iron punch shot on the driving range (it only goes to 180 yards, so I have to reign it in on the long irons and woods) than anything pipe-related.

On the home front, wifey likes just about all my blends and their room notes. Interestingly, the only two she ever complained about were aromatics, CAO Eileen's Dream and Ole Shenandoah Appalachian Berry. Probably would've been ditto for Captain Black Grape, but I couldn't even take the room note myself and aborted the smoke before she had a chance to smell it. Who needs to get served divorce papers on top of trying to undo the effects of a nasty room note? :LOL:

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
Pipe smokers tend to believe that the smell of pipe smoke is wonderful to everybody, because we as humans justify what we are emotionally and financially invested in.
The fact that there’s many anecdotal “I’ve had people comment on how wonderful my pipe smells” only reinforces this.
Fact is, today’s society is non-confrontational, so you as a smoker won’t hear it to your face, but I’d wager the majority of folks (at least in the US) do not appreciate it and furthermore, will talk and vote against it outside of your presence.

If I made a living working with people, I would not subject the target of my efforts to it. The job and the pipe were both chosen by the smoker.

Reactions: NomadOrb
Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
It doesn’t have to be a hard yes or no, there’s also plenty of neutrality. My wife hates Latakia, is indifferent to Virginias, and is very fond of some aromatics I enjoy. She is a non-tobacco user.

I live in an area in general that’s pretty neutral to all tobacco use.

stearmandriver

Might Stick Around
Mar 13, 2018
I just don't smoke around people. It's just as easy not to and I have no reason to do so - I'll enjoy the smoke more later by myself anyway - so I can't see a reason not to be considerate to those who might not like it. I really hate cigarette smoke and surely appreciate when others don't smoke those around ME, so it only seems natural to return the favor.

boston

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2018
Boston
I enjoy a pipe at family affairs from time to time. Room note matters. I think people need to be more open minded about pipe smoking, and a nice room note helps them along. I have a variety in my cellar so I choose accordingly. I have jars of an old Chief Catoonah blend called Baily's. Marvelous room note, people flock to it. And a fine blend. For currently available, Ennerdale always (surprisingly) seems to make people happy; I imagine many lakelands do. There are many slightly aromatic blends to choose from. And tons of other aromatics...although I never found the right " cherry" blend.

Frankly I am not an aromatic smoker primarily, I love deep Latakia blends and deep flavored straight VA or vaper blends as well...they please some but not as universally.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I was on holidays a few years ago and enjoying some cigars and beers with a couple of old schoolmates in an open air bar - picture a rambly setting on a hilltop with rough homemade furniture
under the shade of large mature trees, balmy breeze blowing

The owner wandered around smoking his pipe which triggered some of my olfactory memories.
I'm sorry I didn't ask him what he was smoking (an aromatic)

But that was enough to send me on a search for the pipes I had stored away for 40 years.
And here I am now.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
So, I usually smoke outside or in my car. Occasionally when it's really cold, I'll smoke inside by a window.

Lucky for me, my wife thinks pretty much all pipe tobacco smells like incense when being smoked, and doesn't have an issue with it. Because of this, I never really put much thought into how I smell because of my pipe. Her nose is really the only nose I care about.

Well, a couple of days ago, I had an interesting interaction with a client. She saw me pull up with a pipe in my mouth, and when I went to speak to her, she told me how her father used to smoke a pipe and she absolutely loved the smell of the tobacco he smoked.

She was not so pleased with what I was smoking in my car, which was GL Pease Embarcadero. So it got me thinking if it would be worth the sacrifice to smoke something more boring but with a more pleasing aroma to the non-smoker. I work with new people all the time, and i don't necessarily want to offend anyone, but I also don't really care that much :LOL:.

Thoughts?

Above is wisdom.

Every blend I smoke at the office or out in public smells like cotton candy at the county fair.

Reactions: NomadOrb

NomadOrb

(Nomadorb)
Feb 20, 2020
SoCal
Well, I'll at least try smoking something with a more pleasing aroma.

I really like Carter Hall and Prince Albert, would you guys say those room notes are attractive to the non-smoker?

Architeuthis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2021
It is important to identify at least one blend in your inventory that can be used as an effective wife repellent.