PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Gavrin

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 1, 2021
Idaho
As I am trying out my samples I found I like the room note of Lane 1Q. Is it safe to assume if I find other tobaccos with a similar make up of blend and flavoring the room note will be similar? Would the same hold for non-aromatics? Inquiring mind wants to know, thanks!

Reactions: Meerly John
Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
It’s all a crap shoot until you try a bowl. Probably the best way to put it.

Another, similar blend might be a big turnoff once burned depending on what they used to make the topping. Non-aros can have a pleasant aroma as well while a similar non-aro might just smell of stale smoke.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
Most tobacco reviews will rate room note. If important, then check out the ratings, but yes, tobacco similar to 1Q will have a similar room note, and aromatics “generally” have better room notes, but that’s subjective…

coys

Can't Leave
Feb 15, 2022
Missouri
Often I don't understand the Room Note item on the tobacco reviews websites. Does it mean how pleasant it is, how strong or noticable it is? Seems rather subjective, except as a "this one is more tolerable than that one to bystanders", eh?

Gavrin

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 1, 2021
Idaho
Often I don't understand the Room Note item on the tobacco reviews websites. Does it mean how pleasant it is, how strong or noticable it is? Seems rather subjective, except as a "this one is more tolerable than that one to bystanders", eh?
I am not responding from years of experience but I would say yes, it is definitely subjective. However if I find a number of folks think it leaves a pleasant room note, I take it that when one enters the room it smells good. Aromatics, from my short experience and from what I read tend to smell "sweet and/or fruity". In general don't stink! Others here can probably give you a better answer.

drrock

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2011
Minnesota
For me room note is an important aspect of pipe smoking.

As a child I loved how it smelled when my Grandfather smoked his pipe & it was the love of that aroma that led to my own interest in pipe smoking. Indeed, it was my Grandfather who gave me my first pipe (I still have it!) & who introduced me to pipe smoking when I was in college in the late 1960s.

Apparently olfactory memory evokes a strong emotional response. I mainly smoke my pipes in my garage & frequently wander in & out of the garage to savor the aroma left by any given blend. I often think of my Grandfather whenever I smoke my pipes.

In my experience aromatic blends generally have great room notes. Lane 1Q has a vanilla topping/casing so other vanilla blends will have similar room notes. I especially enjoy the room note from many maple and/or caramel aromatics.

"Straight" burley and Virginia blends have fairly typical room notes that are really sublime. Personally I don't subjectively get as much enjoyment from heavy Latakia blends. YMMV!

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Funny thing is my wife's idea of room note is heavy on Latakia because that's what her dad and grandfather enjoyed and she identifies that with pipesmoking --- now, not being around it constantly for a few decades like she was growing up, it is still the Latakia heavy type blend that she identifies with and likes it for that reason, but the pipe smoke in general she can do without in the house, lol. She loves anything with a vanilla note or even a rum note in the bag, but that's one of those flies that catch more fisherman than fish things. She was very happy to sit with me outdoors yesterday while I enjoyed a little pipe break while we were out walking with one of the dogs, but double-checked she was upwind!

With spring around the corner, and a heated garage, I found the other day reclining in my Jeep and watching a Sherlock Holmes dvd was strangely satisfying and peaceful - room note won't matter on the deck, either!

I get why "room note" matters, it's part of the experience for me as well, but honestly, it doesn't bother me at all the wife doesn't want the house to have a lived-in pipe smoke permanent vibe - someday I'll have my own room for that (or move where I can enjoy it outside every darn day!).

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
I enjoy enveloping the garage in a proper fog. It adds to the enjoyment. Next best thing to smoking inside, which I’d never do.

When I’m enjoying a bowl, I’m constantly retrohaling as well as taking in the sidestream and at times the entire fog and enjoy re-entering.

That said, my choices of tobacco dissipate as soon as the garage has been opened for a while. — Some blends can smell stale and horrid— Glad I don’t smoke those! ☝️?

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
It IS subjective. It's also something that second or third parties notice and appreciate (or loathe), rather than the smoker. Usually, the smoker won't notice the room note unless he leaves the room and comes back later; ergo, quite a number of smokers don't care for room note.

Personally, room note (more like car note in my case) is very important to me. I might not notice it whilst sippuffing, but when I get into my car the next time it smells fantastic. Ever since I started smoking a pipe I've never had to buy those hanging paper pine trees.

Reactions: coys and Gavrin