PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bent1

Lifer
Jan 9, 2015
WV
Greg Pease used to recommend keeping the tobacco in it's original tin. A couple of years afo he changed his mind due to the number of "disappointments" that developed in his cellar. He now recommends jarring as soon as possible if you're planning to age for a long time.

I’ve noticed that tins coated similar to McClellands seem to hold up well long term, + 10 yrs. Ones that have a shiny gold or chrome like coating are susceptible to interior rust.

Reactions: sablebrush52
One thing I would point out is that pipe tobacco usually loses half it value when put in jars.
I wouldn't give a flat nickel for something someone put in jars, or bags, or whatever. If it wasn't stored in the tin, I'm out. I'll let the morons gamble on that being what the guy says it is. And, when you're done, I have a bridge over here you might be interested in.

Reactions: BROBS and jpmcwjr

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Yes. Tobacco will age however you store it, as long as it's not in a container that isn't air-tight (like a plastic baggie).

The tobacco will age differently depending on how much oxygen is in the container to start, and whether or not you dip into the container on occasion. Some folks prefer to move stuff from tins to jars simply because the jars are technically more reliable. Most tins, particularly the round, EU-style "coin" tins and the pop-top Amercian style tins are very reliable long-term. Some of the square ones can have their seals fail, but that's pretty rare.

For most tobaccos, you'll notice a change after a year or two, with drastic changes after 5-10 years. I've also noticed that tobaccos I've moved to mason jars tend to "darken" and taste more mature, more quickly than if the same blend is left in a tin where some of the oxygen has been removed before sealing. I also don't boil my mason jars, just tighten the lid and let it be.

My personal opinion: as long as the tobacco is sealed somehow (not drying out), it'll age just fine.
Excellent summary. I’ve found tobacco aged the most dramatically after its jarred, just as you state.

Reactions: anotherbob

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I wouldn't give a flat nickel for something someone put in jars, or bags, or whatever. If it wasn't stored in the tin, I'm out. I'll let the morons gamble on that being what the guy says it is. And, when you're done, I have a bridge over here you might be interested in.
I’ve got some of my best deals and best smokes from aged bulk or jarred tobacco.

would I trust just anyone on this? No.

Status
Not open for further replies.