Roll-your-own smoker considering switching to pipe (questions)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

randomJack

Lurker
Sep 21, 2022
Does using a filter in a pipe create a similar draw as a cigarette?
I assume it does, maybe, depending on what type of pipe filter I choose to use.
What's the difference in pipe filters?
From what I can find there's a few different ways pipe filters made, different materials used to make them inside and out, different things and materials inside the filters, etc.

I'm probably not going to experiment too much with the tobacco I smoke, of course I'm going to check as many out as I can get a sample amount of. Is what filter I use going to be the same process of trying different ones until I find the one I like the best?

I know some pipe smokers don't use a filter at all. I've attempted using a glass pipe and it's way too much draw without a filter. I'm convinced using a filter is how I prefer it.

Reactions: chopper
Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
Welcome to the forum.

Only you will know what works best for you. I’m not a cigarette smoker, so, can’t answer your first question. But, yes, different filters change the draw. Different brands have different resistance. There are many charcoal filters from different companies and they vary a bit in length and width and may or may not fit your pipe exactly; there are balsa filters that restrict the draw less, but, absorb moisture; there are adapters you can insert into the chamber of a pipe that takes filters if you decide you don’t want to use a filter.

I generally don’t use filters, but, I keep them on hand and use them occasionally in my pipes that can take them. Sometimes, I may not have time to dry out a goopy aromatic tobacco sufficiently, and a filter can come in handy if the tobacco smokes a bit hot because it’s too moist (but, good smoking technique and proper packing is a better solution).

There are sooo many blends out there, a whole new world to check out. Enjoy!

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
As far as I can remember, I have not had a filter make the draw as restricted as cigarettes. The charcoals come the closest, especially the 6mm charcoal kind as smoke is passing through the filter media directly and they are smaller than the 9mm. So if you are looking for the tightest draw, 6mm charcoal might be it.

Charcoal will mute some flavors a little along with doing the most amount of filtering.

Balsa are great at wicking moisture, whether its originating from bowl or your mouth. This is what I use in the 6mm version and prefer for me. It doesn’t impact the draw too much, keeps things dry and is pretty cheap. It will collect some of the more notable tar depending on the tobacco type as it doesn’t filter like the charcoal kind but it also does not mute flavors.

I have only ever used the paper variety a few times. I think it’s closer to balsa in performance but maybe picks up some more tar. It’s still just rolled up paper though and I have never found them to get a nice fit, for me.

It’s worth trying different packs out, absolutely. Especially if you are looking for specific functionality.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
From what I can find there's a few different ways pipe filters made, different materials used to make them inside and out, different things and materials inside the filters, etc.

I'm probably not going to experiment too much with the tobacco I smoke, of course I'm going to check as many out as I can get a sample amount of. Is what filter I use going to be the same process of trying different ones until I find the one I like the best?

I know some pipe smokers don't use a filter at all. I've attempted using a glass pipe and it's way too much draw without a filter. I'm convinced using a filter is how I prefer it.
Seems like you are smoking out of a pipe not meant for pipe tobacco?

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri

There are two common filters for smoking pipes.

The oldest and most common in the American market is the 6mm Medico/Dr Grabow type.

Those do work to cut back on tongue bite and mellow the smoke.

But the best pipe filters, by far, are the Vauen type 9mm.

The US dollar is so strong today the pipe a beginner should buy is a large 9mm Peterson.

It is a name brand pipe from one of the oldest and most respected luxury pipe makers on earth. You will not get cheated. The biggest pipe snob on earth respects a Peterson.

And while it could, I can’t imagine it will ever depreciate a penny.

After that one, you’ll figure out what you like.

Reactions: randomJack
Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
Savinelli's Minuto line might be up your alley. They have a small bowl and take a cigarette-like filter to simulate the experience: Pipes - Savinelli official website - https://www.savinelli.it/rw_en/pipes.html?pipa_serie=269

p249l-401-03.jpg

Last edited:

MattRVA

Lifer
Feb 6, 2019
Richmond Virginia
I’d go with Vauen 6mm charcoal filters and a cob for the budget friendly entry into switching from cigarettes. Savinelli makes a great 6mm filter but they are more expensive. You could also start with an entry model Savinelli pipe that takes a 6mm filter. I smoked cigarettes for 30 years and successfully switched to a pipe. I prefer using a filter because I like the draw, good luck dropping the cigs.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Your profile doesn't state where you live so advice you get could be effected by that but it may interest you to know that most Americans don't use filters. If you are not an American you may ignore this post.

randomJack

Lurker
Sep 21, 2022
Thank you all very much for the replies. I wasn't expecting that many. Very much appreciated!

I've been looking in to switching to a pipe now for maybe 2 years but haven't done it yet because from the info I have already found it seems there's a lot I should probably learn and know about it since one of the main reasons for considering switching to a pipe is costs. I'd like to decrease the costs my smoking habit causes if I can. And maybe enjoy it a little more (aroma tobacco, etc).

I've managed to save quite a bit of money and smoke much less using a glass pipe that (yes, mortonbriar) is intended to be used with other materials: weed. I quit smoking weed over 15 years ago because I made the wise decision that having and keeping a job was more important. Wise decision it was. I retired with a nice pension in 2019 at 44 years old, in good health.

I don't want to jump in to "cold water" with this like I did with vaping and drain funds away irresponsibly. I only really need one pipe, right?

This is the starter kit I'm looking at and considering:
Scotte Tobacco Smoking Pipe Kit

The past 10 years or more I've been spending around $40 a month on tobacco and tubes rolling my own. Correct me if I'm wrong, please, in thinking I can get a decent starter pipe and cut that in half at least because I'll only have to buy filters and tobacco until I absolutely have to replace the pipe...and by that time (a few months from now at least? hopefully a year or 2) I'll know what I like in a pipe so I'll know what to get when I buy a better quality pipe.

Reactions: chopper

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Look at it as a hobby, similar to vaping and unlike cigarettes. You won't save money if you get interested in pipe smoking. Yes you only need one, but more will come, similar with tobaccos. I am a former roll your own cigarette smoker and past and current vaper parallel to the pipe.

Never heard of Scotte pipes, for the price tag I can guarantee you that the peripherals in the package cost as much, so that doesn't leave much for the pipe. It is listed as ebony...yeah right, it is not ebony for that price, and regardless, pipes are made of briar or corncob mostly, and also pear, cherry, apply, olive - to name a few more unusual materials. Don't buy it, do yourself a favour and buy a proper pipe - a Savinelli starter 106 will serve you well, I still use mine 10+ years later because it's a genuinely, legitimately high quality pipe: ONE STARTER KIT 106 - https://www.savinelli.it/rw_en/one-starter-kit-106-p265l-106.html.

Or if this price sounds like a lot, get a Missouri Meerschaum corncob, again legitimately good pipes from a reputable manufacturer: https://corncobpipe.com/product-category/smoking-pipes/cobs/

Regarding filters, can't say what would emulate the draw of a cigarette, I don't use filters - tried once and took it out after half a puff. Balsa wood is meant to absorb some moisture from the smoke but I don't use that either, some tobaccos generate more moisture than others, it's just a fact to live with.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
Thank you all very much for the replies. I wasn't expecting that many. Very much appreciated!

I've been looking in to switching to a pipe now for maybe 2 years but haven't done it yet because from the info I have already found it seems there's a lot I should probably learn and know about it since one of the main reasons for considering switching to a pipe is costs. I'd like to decrease the costs my smoking habit causes if I can. And maybe enjoy it a little more (aroma tobacco, etc).

I've managed to save quite a bit of money and smoke much less using a glass pipe that (yes, mortonbriar) is intended to be used with other materials: weed. I quit smoking weed over 15 years ago because I made the wise decision that having and keeping a job was more important. Wise decision it was. I retired with a nice pension in 2019 at 44 years old, in good health.

I don't want to jump in to "cold water" with this like I did with vaping and drain funds away irresponsibly. I only really need one pipe, right?

This is the starter kit I'm looking at and considering:
Scotte Tobacco Smoking Pipe Kit

The past 10 years or more I've been spending around $40 a month on tobacco and tubes rolling my own. Correct me if I'm wrong, please, in thinking I can get a decent starter pipe and cut that in half at least because I'll only have to buy filters and tobacco until I absolutely have to replace the pipe...and by that time (a few months from now at least? hopefully a year or 2) I'll know what I like in a pipe so I'll know what to get when I buy a better quality pipe.
My recommendation would be to consider getting a Missouri Meerschaum Corn Cob pipe—perhaps, the Boone model, which takes a 6mm filter. The pipe will only set you back about $16.49. It'll be a minimal investment, and you can see if pipe smoking really is your thing. Try buying 1 oz. samples of a variety of bulk tobaccos and smoke them to get a sense of what you might enjoy. If you don’t dig it, you didn’t spend too much. If you enjoy it, you may consider investing in a briar pipe.

Browny

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 10, 2022
Great Southern Land
I don't like filters in my pipes and stopped using them fairly quickly so can't help in that respect, but I was a rollie smoker when I started with pipes.
Honestly you won't get a pipe to be like a cigarette.
The whole process is different, draw included, please expect this to be different from cigarettes so there is an increased chance of success.

The closest I believe, and your best bet would be as @ThermionicScott @karam and @TheIronMonkey suggested, I'd say both so you can rest one pipe while smoking the other, you will also have to try and change your smoking style and cadence but it can work.

You don't need a lot of money to start, but one pipe won't be enough if smoking multiple bowls per day.

It helped me reduce my cigarette usage a fair amount.
Good luck and I hope you enjoy the rabbit hole you're about to head down.

Last edited:
Reactions: randomJack

Sgetz

Lifer
May 21, 2020
UK
Buy the cheapest corn cob pipe from an on line dealer. most also do sample sized bags of tobacco. If it were me ,and it once was, I would buy a strong tobacco first. For example St Bruno. It stops you inhaling and also gives a good nicotine hit. Good luck and enjoy!