Sparcdude

Lurker
Feb 9, 2023
New Hampshire
What instrument(s) do you play?

How long have you been playing?

What kind of music do you like to play?
Trumpet, cornet, baritone horn, guitar.

Started with the trumpet back in elementary school, then switched to cornet (and back again!). Went to baritone horn in high school to balance out the orchestra, plus I was one of the few that could read bass clef, so I got all the solos! Still play the trumpet once in a while, or at least try to. I have full dentures, so my embouchure is, shall we say, “interesting” these days. So that would be <mumble mumble> years ago.

I like all kinds of music, so I fiddle around with different things, mainly on guitar these days. Acoustic only. I don’t use a pick as I could never get used to them.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Technically I'm a drummer.
Got my first kit for xmas when I was.. 12.
Cut my teeth jamming with neighborhood friends starting immediately at age 12, on up through high school.
Mostly punk/HC/some thrash & metal, lots of blues based classic rawk.

Did jazz/pep band in high school.
Played in various "heavy" bands through my 20s. Into my 30s, however, interest began to wane. Still loved playing, but the motivation was diminishing.
My last serious venture that included bar gigs was with an electric blues band. I was by far the youngest member. The band was actually the long term project of a good friends father. Had lots of fun with those guys but the lead vocal/harp player passed away- that was the end of that.

So now it's been almost 7 years since I played in an actual band. I do miss it sometimes.

Reactions: Silverwing

Silverwing

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2024
Bowling Green, KY
Technically I'm a drummer.
Got my first kit for xmas when I was.. 12.
Cut my teeth jamming with neighborhood friends starting immediately at age 12, on up through high school.
Mostly punk/HC/some thrash & metal, lots of blues based classic rawk.

Did jazz/pep band in high school.
Played in various "heavy" bands through my 20s. Into my 30s, however, interest began to wane. Still loved playing, but the motivation was diminishing.
My last serious venture that included bar gigs was with an electric blues band. I was by far the youngest member. The band was actually the long term project of a good friends father. Had lots of fun with those guys but the lead vocal/harp player passed away- that was the end of that.

So now it's been almost 7 years since I played in an actual band. I do miss it sometimes.
Aye. I definitely tend to lose interest if I don’t have other people to play with. I try to fall back on recording when that happens, but it doesn’t do much for your chops the way actually playing live music with others does. It sounds like we would have some common ground if we ever got to play together.

Reactions: bluegrassbrian

Silverwing

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2024
Bowling Green, KY
Guitar and keyboards. I started both in ‘68. Last thing I was in was a band my son and I started. He passed last year and I haven’t been in a band nor played a session since then. You can hear us on Spotify/Apple Music/Pandora as Lady Zion and the Babylon Boys.
I’m really sorry about your son. I will always remember the times I spent playing with my Father really fondly. My Dad always played songs very simply and it gave me a lot of room to work on my “fretboard IQ” while playing. He was always kind and would just let me play.

I can’t speak for your son, but it would be hard for me to imagine he didn’t treasure that time he spent with you, also. I hope you can find the heart to pick it up again someday. I know my dad wouldn’t want me to stop playing for anything.

Jbrewer2002

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2023
Somerset Ohio
Played trumpet french horn and electric bass in high school. Dabbled on acoustic guitar banjo and piano over the years. But I have been doing live pro audio for large concerts and festivals since high school. It’s the only thing I became decent at.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
Guitar, French horn, and trumpet. Tried to learn the mandolin, but with nominal success.

Guitar since high school. French horn and trumpet from junior high forward.

I like to play old-time music (think Norman Blake) on guitar. Symphonic music on French horn and trumpet.

Reactions: Jbrewer2002

jeff540

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 25, 2016
Southwest Virginia
Bb trumpet and some piano until I hit puberty, then it was all guitar: acoustic and electric for a little over 35 years now. I used to mod and repair tube amps for myself and some friends and have built several from scratch over the years. I plan to pick that up again this winter, I want a tweed pro with octal preamps, and they are now pretty expensive on the vintage market.

I gigged in bar bands and cover bands from mid-1990s until I hit 40, that's when lugging a half stack, staying out all weekend and getting home when the sun rose was no longer feasible, even with chemical assistance. Sometimes I do miss the gigging scene, but it's not what it used to be.

I still have my home office corner:
1719284031726.jpeg

Marie

Might Stick Around
Jun 15, 2024
Los Angeles
Piano, clarinet, mallet percussion, pit percussion (marching band), Keyboards with a DAW. Formal training on the first two, self taught with some direction on the second two. Participated in several music related groups throughout the years...County Honor Bands, SCV Drum and Bugle Corps, Wind Ensembles. Went to college for music..majored in film scoring and music synthesis. 🎵

Jayteest

Lurker
May 3, 2024
Colorado Springs, CO
Guitarist here! I began classical violin lessons at 6, but picked up the guitar in my free time a few months later. Mostly dropped the violin around 13 years old (aside from breaking it out on rare occasion), but stuck with the guitar. So that makes 26 years with it now.
I’ve been almost exclusively an acoustic guitarist for the better part of 2 decades, and ditched the plectrums about 10 years ago. Pretty much just a DADGAD finger-style guy at this point.
EDIT: spelling

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
I mostly play guitar/bass and song write, produce, and record my own music. I play organ, synth, and drums well enough to play them on my own songs but I wouldn’t say I ‘play’ those instruments. I’ve recorded a few other local bands too. My avatar on this site is from the artwork of my latest release. The name of the release is hidden in the flames.