PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Of course, where the rubber meets the road is at the box office, and online sales, clothing, and so forth. I am not worried about trends in movies; I just don't watch the ones that I don't like for whatever reason.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I'm just tired of Hollywood rehashing the sos. Too many sequels, I would like to see more original content, be it male or female leads.
Amen to that. But the general public seems to have an insatiable appetite for the SOS.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
There's also: Cathy's Clown

[John Patton]
An English style Balkan with cigar leaf, Turkish, 2 Virginias, Black Cavendish, Latakia, and Perique. which combine to create a tasty medium strength blend where the components almost fight for dominance.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
George Lucas killed star wars in the first place. There was the same freak outs over Mad Max fury road, and I thought it was a very good movie.

Hollywood already pushed every boundary, it's called the 80's.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Fishingandpipes....pretty much nailed it, who cares.
But you know it's funny as hell to see who's a bitch on these forums and who's not. You still have to wonder, two major female characters, in two back to back SW movies. I don't know......
Yea, I came to that conclusion too, Lucas totally ruined Star Wars A New Hope. :clap:

fishingandpipes

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2013
I guess my point is, it really doesn't matter if they're female or not, and the fact that people get upset when females are cast in roles like this is probably a good reason to emphasize doing so - to normalize it.
I don't particularly see an agenda, the fact that it's weird for people to see females in leading roles like this is weird in and of itself and speaks to how women have been treated in film. It really shouldn't be a thing that brings out the torches, but it does, time and again, and that's a problem. Many Bothans can still die to get the plans!
Ghostbusters may be another topic but, whatever. Bill Murray approved, good enough for me.
And Lucas stumbled across a good thing and required a lot of people smarter than he was to get the original trilogy as good as it was. No one thought it was going to be a hit. Then he gets free reign and makes 1-3, some of the worst films ever put to celluloid and considers himself a holier-than-thou auteur. He's a dud. He just got surrounded by a lot of smart people for the first trilogy.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
"But you know it's funny as hell to see who's a bitch on these forums and who's not."
Jackson put a lot of extra estrogen in the LOTR, but it worked well

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Fishingandpipes, it may or may not be a fad, agenda, or nothing at all. It's movies, you like'em or you don't. You like the actors or not. Just opening a discussion that's been going on around here, in reality-ville and thought I'd bring it to the threads. Plus, of course, I'm going to be controversial about it, go ahead and separate the namby pamby PC cult lust from the individuals in the house.
Congratulations if you got offended, We now know you support the FDA shenanigans. :crazy:

indianafrank

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 15, 2014
This is an interesting thread which led me to think?
Could Nicole Kidman play a good Tarzan?

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Sigourney Weaver
An exceptional actress... she makes the Alien series believable.
Every movie director/writer these days seems compelled to add a do-good theme, ecology (Avatar), last James Bond was ageism. Just tell a story, not a theme or champion a cause.
Quite insightful. But if they are turning to these tired morality plays, it may indicate that they lack direction or a story to tell.
Sad, really, since many of these series are really good! Dr. No will always be a classic for me.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Wouldn't princess leigh be considered a major character in all 3 good star wars movies though?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsYawIZoUrs

This it top kek stuff with valid points if you haven't seen it, grab a pipe and watch.

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
The term PC has been so miss used as to now lack meaning.
I really wish it would disappear from the lexicon. It is a lazy way to say you disapprove of something without a valid argument.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Every story ever told has a point of view and a point to make.
Talk about PC! "Nanny state" blah blah blah, "sheeple" blah, blah, blah. And endless stream of stale clichéd vocabulary revealing a lack of the ability to think independently, or perhaps to think at all, as the same words get used over and over and over and over and over...
And then there's all that labeling, kind of like a warped version of the 1950's when people shouted "Pinko!" or "Fellow Traveler" or "Fifth columnist" with a mindless enthusiasm born of a fear of the different.
This is just a different version of PC, a different flavor of Kool-Aid. It's a form of auto-speak.
It's not provocative. It's not intelligent or thoughtful. It's boring.

Status
Not open for further replies.