Rodent Abatement: What's Your Preferred Method?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
Although my wife and I have done a bang-up job plugging up all the little holes/cracks/spaces on our mountain cabin where mice can get in, one still occasionally slips past the defenses. The weak point is the poorly constructed base of the attached laundry room; I'm fairly certain that the roll of thick mesh screening we plan to pick up at Home Depot next week will put the kibosh on that. All the aforementioned entry points have been sealed. We use caulk for small openings, and that "Great Stuff" expanding foam spray for larger ones. These both work extremely well.

Last week, one got into the wall between the bathroom and the outside laundry room, almost certainly through the laundry room floor. I could hear it move around intermittently, and figured it would likely follow the path of its predecessors--in other words, it would climb up into the attic, and get caught in either of the two mousetraps placed up there. But this did not happen; it just hung out in the walls for no good reason. After about five or six days of this, I decided I'd had enough. We use the Victor brand snap traps with the plastic pedal. They've served us well in the year and a half we've lived at this particular location. A pea-sized blob of peanut butter does the trick. I placed it in the laundry room last night, and in the morning, sure enough, our guest had checked out. Fortunately, without leaving a tip (blood).

What do you use for rodent control? Interested to hear some other stories about this very relatable problem for rural dwelling folk.

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
The Jawz traps and attractant gel work well for me. I have tried PB and/or cheese, etc., But the overpriced Tomcat Attractant Gel really does work.

I have also recently discovered that the mice seem to love the Lava Soap Pumice Bar, so I have been using small chunks of that in some traps as well.

Reactions: Servant King

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
No real answer to help you here. However my factory I work at has little alluminum boxes where the mice go in, and magically don't come out. When I was younger I used to help my grandpa with yard work, which included setting them rat traps. No fingers lost in the process, but I was pretty scared doing it most days. Then one day he started live trapping them, which I thought was much better. Untill he had me take one of the traps with a live mouse in it, over to a big 50 gallon drum of water.....

Well needless to say I told him I was never doing that method ever again. ?

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
No real answer to help you here. However my factory I work at has little alluminum boxes where the mice go in, and magically don't come out. When I was younger I used to help my grandpa with yard work, which included setting them rat traps. No fingers lost in the process, but I was pretty scared doing it most days. Then one day he started live trapping them, which I thought was much better. Untill he had me take one of the traps with a live mouse in it, over to a big 50 gallon drum of water.....

Well needless to say I told him I was never doing that method ever again. ?
Yeah, I've heard about that last method. That's right up there with the glue traps IMHO. I just don't think I could bring myself to do either, no matter how much I abhor vermin. Live traps are a decent solution, but I only see them made for rats, not mice.

Clint's character in The Outlaw Josey Wales said, "Buzzards gotta eat too, same as worms." Then he spit tobacco on the forehead of Uncle Leo from Seinfeld. Go figure.

Reactions: RalphiesDad
Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
Although my wife and I have done a bang-up job plugging up all the little holes/cracks/spaces on our mountain cabin where mice can get in, one still occasionally slips past the defenses. The weak point is the poorly constructed base of the attached laundry room; I'm fairly certain that the roll of thick mesh screening we plan to pick up at Home Depot next week will put the kibosh on that. All the aforementioned entry points have been sealed. We use caulk for small openings, and that "Great Stuff" expanding foam spray for larger ones. These both work extremely well.

Last week, one got into the wall between the bathroom and the outside laundry room, almost certainly through the laundry room floor. I could hear it move around intermittently, and figured it would likely follow the path of its predecessors--in other words, it would climb up into the attic, and get caught in either of the two mousetraps placed up there. But this did not happen; it just hung out in the walls for no good reason. After about five or six days of this, I decided I'd had enough. We use the Victor brand snap traps with the plastic pedal. They've served us well in the year and a half we've lived at this particular location. A pea-sized blob of peanut butter does the trick. I placed it in the laundry room last night, and in the morning, sure enough, our guest had checked out. Fortunately, without leaving a tip (blood).

What do you use for rodent control? Interested to hear some other stories about this very relatable problem for rural dwelling folk.
Snap traps work.

Reactions: Servant King

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA

cats. Seriously my first cat got rid of any visible mice in about two months. Not a sign of one. And at that house everything got tried but one awesome cat fixed that issue. Current cat gets rid of bugs so he's awesome, even stinkbugs.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
In my first apartment, there was a time a mouse was hiding behind a cheap floorstanding aluminum cabinet. Using a chair with a footrest, I was able to lean over the back and line up a metal yardstick over his neck and bring it down with a quick satisfying "chunk!" But, generally, a Victor with peanut butter does the trick, although I'm not fond of the later designs with the yellow plastic. The older copper piece was better for wedging a cracker (with peanut butter on it) that forced the critter to do some tugging and trigger the trap; I've seen evidence of cheekier, clever mice licking the peanut butter off the trap without setting it off.