PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

bayareabriar

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2019
Question for the group.

Rock Ambera Stems from Kaywoodie: water or alcohol for cleaning?

Amber stems: alcohol or water or does it matter with these? Is it the same process with sandpaper/mesh for chatter as acrylic & vulcanite stems? Or is this different being a mineral?

I appreciate any guidance.

Reactions: grimpeur

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
Some amber (in particular copal) is soluble in alcohol. Alcohol will haze and dissolve copal. Fully polymerized, i.e. very old, amber is more resistant.

I’m sure some people use alcohol and get away with it but my amber stemmed pipes are antiques and I won’t subject them to it. Not worth the risk to me.

Very warm/hot water can sometimes haze the amber as well.

bayareabriar

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2019
Some amber (in particular copal) is soluble in alcohol. Alcohol will haze and dissolve copal. Fully polymerized, i.e. very old, amber is more resistant.

I’m sure some people use alcohol and get away with it but my amber stemmed pipes are antiques and I won’t subject them to it. Not worth the risk to me.

Very warm/hot water can sometimes haze the amber as well.
Thank you. So how do you clean them? Cold water and mild soap? Have you ever cleaned up the chatter on them similar to plastic/rubber stems?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
View attachment 313009
Ca 1920s if that helps determine the quality or type of amber.
Beautiful set. Color and texture determine quality, not era. I’ve used water with a touch of mild dish soap to clean my amber stems with no issues. Of course I don’t often smoke them so I don’t know that frequent cleaning would cause a different result.

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
Just warm water and pipe cleaners for my amber stems. I’m definitely running on the cautious side because I’d hate to ruin something I can’t replace.

I don’t worry about chatter or tiny chips.

Reactions: bayareabriar