PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Aomalley27

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 8, 2021
Chicagoland area
There’s a popular robo scam where calls appear local but are actually from overseas, so when you answer, you rack up international call rates.
To avoid the nonsense, I got a Talkatone number, and give THAT number out for discounts, or member cards etc. my “real” number is reserved for family and friends.
Used to buy burner phones every time I’d start dating a new gal. In lieu of a messy breakup, I’d just toss the phone, eventually they’d get the message.

timelord

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
Back in the 1970's we used to get nuisance calls (well, my parents did, I was a kid). Stepmother was advised by the GPO engineer one day (in the UK at that time phone service was provided by GPO - General Post Office as was) to get a referees whistle and blow it loudly down the mouthpiece. It seemed to work. Not sure if it would work so well in the days of digital phone systems but I'm tempted to give it a try.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
Back in the 1970's we used to get nuisance calls (well, my parents did, I was a kid). Stepmother was advised by the GPO engineer one day (in the UK at that time phone service was provided by GPO - General Post Office as was) to get a referees whistle and blow it loudly down the mouthpiece. It seemed to work. Not sure if it would work so well in the days of digital phone systems but I'm tempted to give it a try.
They'll get the message real quick. How they responded to the message remains to be seen. Fortunately, it is mostly robo calls lately, so as soon as the voice starts up, I hang up. ¡Bastardos!

Reactions: timelord

kuchiki

Lurker
Nov 15, 2020
I have experience with scam and robo calls in past. But now I record calls from strangers. It helped me odds against some calls frauds. I use simple call recorder for it. Its convy also for recording call from important people.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I don't answer my phone unless I recognize the number of the person who is calling. One particular number keeps showing up, and I was a little bored, so I answered it. The woman on the line wanted to know if I was willing to sell my house. I said, "I will for six million dollars." She said, "Six million dollars? What makes you think you can get six million dollars for your house?"
I said I couldn't take less than six million dollars. She asked why. I said, "Because I always wanted to be Lee Majors!" She hung up on me.

Kissel bixby

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 10, 2021
Twice now I have had 2 robo calls where someone was on the line. They kept saying they wanted to talk to Lucas about a business deal. My name isn't Lucas. I just kept saying "who," sometimes pausing 10-20 seconds. Once in awhile I would add in names like "who, gillus." It reminded me of the jerky boys. As uncomfortable as it was, I started to really find it hilarious. Eventually they hung up. Now I am telling all my friends that they are greatly missing out on some really funny experiences. When we were kids we used to be able to do prank calls. No caller ID or *69. It made me feel 12 again. I laughed outloud afterwards. Now I get excited getting a caller ID out of state. It's awesome, I highly recommend answering.

• Haha
Reactions: anantaandroscoggin