PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

jorgesoler

Can't Leave
Dec 3, 2014
I am usually very suspicious with any tobacco being made in Denmark, whether English or not, but this might be the exception that proves the rule. The tin note is sort of vinegary with an undertone of hay, which is something that reminds me of many Gawith Hoggarth blends. I have let my tobacco out of the tin for 24 hours before packing my pipe as the moist content seems to be quite high. This tobacco has a broken flake appearance, packs easily in your bowl, and does not seem to require many relights. If you are for Kentucky/Burley blends paired with Virginia tobaccos, you might as well find this particular one interesting because of its Perique content. The Kentucky content will become more and more apparent the more you smoke, but the Virginia is always there providing this sweet undertone to it. Quite in contradiction with what you would have expected from a tobacco with this characteristics, the strength/taste of this tobacco is rather mild, so I recommend it as a morning blend. I cannot detect any tongue bite and its subdued sweetness keeps me wondering every now and then. Also, it does not seem to burn hot in your bowl, which is a bonus. And I think it is important to mention this tobacco is really good value for money as well. Selling at ϵ11 for a 100 grams tin, you definitely get more bang for your bucks, so if you are looking for good quality tobacco without breaking the piggy-bank, you should probably give this one a go. Based on my initial impressions, this tobacco is going to get 3 stars, but I might upgrade to 4 stars later on if I think it is worth it. For now, it is doing really well, but let's see how I get on with it in the long term.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I have to agree with you, Jorge. McConnell's Scottish Cake is a nicely flavored and balanced blend.

In the U.S.A. we pay about €9,00 for 50 grams, which is probably an average price here for pipe tobacco.

Status
Not open for further replies.