PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I used to grow wild roses and rose-hips--- wish I still had them to try as a condiment to some tobaccos.
That would be pretty fun to play around with. I think I might try it. I've been experimenting with essential rose oils but they tend to bite me when smoked.

Do you see the rose petals or hips in the blend? Are you actually smoking those parts of the flower? I would try an infusion first, by letting the tobacco and the roses set next to each other in a container. Gag, the idea of pure rose oils in my mouth...

Interesting stuff. I am always amazed at what the English come up with to mix into their tobaccos. I've even seen where Glynn Quelch was playing around with using cumin, ugg.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Yes the rose petals are actually in the blend, Cosmic. They use it as a condiment just like they use Deer Tongue. It's not near as intense as ya think it would be, it's just a very subtle hint of rose similar to what you would find in Velvan Plug. It actually reminds me of Bagpipers Dream with a little more hit of florals.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
After overhydrating the blend I let it air out in the bag for a few days and now it's at a perfect moisture level for smoking. This blend (even without the rose petals) is highly aromatic and the black Cavendish is very sweet. I wouldn't r commend this blend to those who can't tolerate sweet aromatics that's for sure. The combination of the sweet Cavendish mixed with the florals is actually very pleasant and I'm enjoying this stuff very much, what a treat. If I had to compare it to another blend I would say it's similar to Rattray's Bagpipers Dream with more sweetness and more of an emphasis on the florals (although I do pick up on some florals in BPD). If this stuff were available in the States I would surely add it to my rotation but I don't think I'll pay a premium to import it from across the pond. For our brothers in Europe, y'all should certainly give this stuff a try, especially for those who like florals in their baccy. This stuff doesn't taste scented like Lakeland tobaccos but could definitely be considered a kissing cousin to that genre. This makes me wish I would have tried Steven Books blend that he put rose petals in when I used to visit the House of Calabash every other week, I bet I would love that stuff now but at the time the concept was just too foreign to me that I don't think I could have appreciated it.
Thanks again Rick for allowing me the opportunity to try this one, I really do appreciate it.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Now I'm getting curious. I have several rose bushes in the back yard. Are the rose petal completely dried out in the tobacco or are they still retaining some moisture?

Maybe I will save a few rose petals and mix them with some Virginia I have.
Should there be a disclaimer at the top of this post saying "Warning: Don't try this at home." Or "Here! Hold my beer?"

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Now I'm getting curious. I have several rose bushes in the back yard. Are the rose petal completely dried out in the tobacco or are they still retaining some moisture?

Maybe I will save a few rose petals and mix them with some Virginia I have.
If I had a rose bush I would surely give it a try. The petals are not crispy dry but are quite pliable, just like the tobacco. They have turned to an almost yellow color in the blend.
Please, if you happen to try it, let us know how it turns out. I would suggest you let the rose petals meld with the baccy for at least two weeks before you try it. If you have an aromatic like Bagpipers Dream that would be an excellent blend to add the petals to.

Status
Not open for further replies.