PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Any of our friends across the pond try this one? I'm assuming it's fairly new? This is a pretty unique blend and I have only seen one other similar blend from Steven Books' House of Calabash. Tin description via Tobacco Reviews says this; This tobacco is a perfect composition of jet-black Black Cavendish and some sun-yellow Virginia, embedded in rose buds. Finest aroma of roses is added with a touch of caramel to caress the palate of the pipe smoker. A true smoking experience with a unique room atmosphere. Apparently this isn't a new type of blend and is rather an olde world tobacco. I would love to hear from folks that have sampled this and does anyone know if it will be available in the States? I expect this one to be polarizing. If anyone has any I would love to work out a deal for a sample. I'm really falling in love with this house.
DSC02964-1.jpg

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
I have seen this blend around for quite some time, although I have not seen it recently, and am not sure if it has ever been available in the States.
I too, am a fan of McConnell, I really like the Glen Piper and Folded Flake. Sorry I don't have more info.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I too, am a fan of McConnell, I really like the Glen Piper and Folded Flake. Sorry I don't have more info.

I actually just bought a tin of both along with 12 tins of Latakia Flake. I haven't popped those open yet, I'm very much looking forward to them.

jacks6

Lifer
May 9, 2016
Their marketing folks did a great job with the description..mmm.. I'm in. That is, provided we can get it in the US.

greenrick

Lurker
Mar 28, 2011
Hi. I just registered here so that I could reply to this topic. Years ago, I purchased a 100-gram tin of Red Roses from a tobacconist here in USA - I don't know how many years this tin has been open. I just smoked a bowl after rehydrating it a bit by breathing into the bowl. Surprisingly, it still tasted very good, with a floral scent different from the British Lakeland scent. It's similar to Von Eicken's Rosebud, another German tobacco containing rose petals and no longer available in USA.
A Google search shows UK tobacconists selling Red Roses, but unable to export tobacco to USA. I found a few German tobacconist websites that also didn't ship to USA. Eventually, I found a German tobacconist, Schneiderwind, that does ship to USA, and I just placed an order for several tins, plus a pouch of Danske Club "White Roses". Schneiderwind web page for Red Roses

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
Hi. I just registered here so that I could reply to this topic.

Says you've been a member since 2011. Glad to know Doctor Who smokes a pipe. Thanks for the info. Sounds good. :wink:

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
Interesting, I was gifted a tin of McConnell Mature and it was great found some Special London Mature and Scottish Blend at SPC and was impressed with those too, sounds like I will have to add this one to my hunt list :puffy:

didache

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2017
London, England
I have checked and, yes, it is available this side of the pond. Not that I will personally be ordering any: the idea of pipe tobacco flavoured with rose fills me with horror. Mind you, nasal snuff with attar of roses is rather nice.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
didache - just curious, who has it available?
I think it was be just as effective to dry some rose petals, crush them and add to a straight virginia.

didache

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2017
London, England
pappymac - a quick google showed up these:
http://www.smoke-king.co.uk/acatalog/Robert-McConnell-Red-Roses-Pipe-Tobacco---100g-Tin-4317.html
https://www.mysmokingshop.co.uk/index2.php?mod=mancats&man=395&sec=3518
https://www.cgarsltd.co.uk/robert-mcconnell-red-roses-pipe-tobacco-100g-p-16134.html
All of these are well-known online merchants in the UK - in fact I have just received an order from the latter one.

greenrick

Lurker
Mar 28, 2011
Hi,all. (Yesterday I mentioned I just joined, and mayfair70 pointed out correctly that I joined in 2011. Yes, I joined as greenrick then. When I couldn't log in yesterday with the password I stored, I think I created a duplicate account, but it seems to be aligning with my original account. I just uploaded my photo. It's nice to reconnect with this forum...)
Anyway, Didache, the links you listed mention what I had found out earlier - they no longer ship tobacco to USA. You mentioned you just received an order. If it included tobacco, I'm glad but puzzled by that. As I mentioned in my forum message yesterday, I finally found a German tobacconist selling Red Roses that ships tobacco to USA, Schneiderwind, and ordered from them. Their price for 100-gram tins is much lower than the UK tobacconists, but the shipping cost is high.

darthcider

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 24, 2014
Wales
Although i only tried a fairly small sample, the roses were most evident in the smoke smell and not the taste.
Only ever seen it in tubs, which is a bit commitment just to try it.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Greenrick was nice enough to send some samples out my way. One being Red Roses by McConnell, the other one being Rose Bud by Von Eiken, both of which came very dry so I gave them the rehydration treatment. They took to the hydration extremely well and I accidentally over hydrated them. Once I get them to a moisture level I'm more comfortable with I plan on testing them both out and sharing my thoughts here.
Thanks again, Rick.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
I used to grow wild roses and rose-hips--- wish I still had them to try as a condiment to some tobaccos.

Status
Not open for further replies.