PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Or how NOT to bring down a MQ-9 Reaper drone.

I'm no military tactician but from the sketchy details offered up by the BBC news last night, I have my own theory.

They say one of two SU-27 fighter jets manoeuvred his jet in such a way as to damage the propeller of the lumbering UAV. This I doubt very much. What jet pilot worth his salt, from any nation, would risk his life in such a way just to bring down a drone, because without doubt, he would have at the very least caused serious damage to his own plane?

They also said one of the SU-27 jets dumped fuel all over the drone and that one or both of the jets flew immediately in front of this thing. My theory, and it is just that, is that they were hoping to ignite the now fuel drenched UAV with their afterburners.

I know the Russians are getting desperate and are taking many, many risks, but this deliberately colliding theory I find hard to swallow.

UPDATE. I just read that US officials are now stating any collision was likely accidental!

Regards,

Jay.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

Flatfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 20, 2022
West Wales
In WW2. Pilots found that shooting at V1 flying bombs could be risky. I particular when they blew up in front of you. So pilots learned to fly alongside the V1 so that their wing was directly under the wing of the V1. Then they would bank sharply flipping the V1 and causing it to crash. Preferably in open countryside

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Russian military does stupid things occasionally. It's typical macho bullshit that goes out of control like any other military units from any other countries. Unless of course, discipline is strongly enforced and they are more scared of their own superior officers. In this century? S. Korean military now has 18 year old kids calling their drill sergeant "uncle". Back in 60s, they would have beat the shit out of kids like half to death.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
In WW2. Pilots found that shooting at V1 flying bombs could be risky. I particular when they blew up in front of you. So pilots learned to fly alongside the V1 so that their wing was directly under the wing of the V1. Then they would bank sharply flipping the V1 and causing it to crash. Preferably in open countryside
I believe the preferred aeroplane for that manoeuvre was the Gloster Meteor with its twin jet engines. Most other planes couldn't keep up with the 'doodlebugs'.

Certainly a nifty manoeuvre to perform no matter which plane was used.

Regards,

Jay.

Reactions: Briar Lee

ADKPiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 13, 2020
Adirondack Mountains
It all starts to look like the real life version of Dr. Strangelove.
Dr._Strangelove_-_General_Buck_Turgidson.png

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Risking a fighter jet and pilot to down a drone is a really poor exchange. I think it was a mistake during an attempt to do damage to the drone without damaging the jet. The pilot got away with it because he was lucky, despite maybe being an excellent pilot. More the loss if he'd crashed the jet. If I were a Russian air force general (whatever they're called) I would give the pilot hell. And of course, the pilot will be bought drinks and be bragging about this for the rest of his life. Remember that drone we sank in the Black Sea?

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
How do you know those videos haven't been altered? They can do amazing things with computer-generated videos.
If this is the path someone wishes to take, then nothing anyone can say or show means anything. This holds true for the skeptic as well. When a person embraces this logic, anything they have to say must be dismissed as well. What you suggest is possible. Sure. But the narrative presented and shown is the most likely and logical. But really, I don't care. It is something that happened over which I have no control.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
If this is the path someone wishes to take, then nothing anyone can say or show means anything. This holds true for the skeptic as well. When a person embraces this logic, anything they have to say must be dismissed as well. What you suggest is possible. Sure. But the narrative presented and shown is the most likely and logical. But really, I don't care. It is something that happened over which I have no control.
Right, then how do we know any of this even happened to begin with?

Reactions: Briar Lee

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Never assume the children aren’t listening to world events.

In May 1960 I was just barely two, and already a hit at the local restaurant for saying in a loud voice—

I Yike Ike!

I don’t remember me saying anything else about the U-2 incident, but my parents claimed I didn’t care if he lied about Francis Gary Powers, I still yiked Ike.:)