PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
There are not enough words to express the profound sense of loss I feel currently. I am afraid I must inform you all that ‘Weezell’ passed away after a long period of illness. He was not only a close friend but also known to all of you on this forum by our mutual love of ‘cutty pipes’ horrible plug tobacco and equally off taste humor.

I met Dave through this forum, and we immediately bonded. He was a generous soul, tolerant but with very defined opinions. We spoke weekly but strangely only met once at the Columbus Pipe Show, exchanged pipes and tobacco every few weeks, yet every phone call or letter was like meeting for the first time. We shared similar interests, views, and tastes in tobacco and life in general. More often than not any off-color humor or jokes would emanate from our corner of the universe.

As the years passed, we would make a point of speaking most weekends and he would always answer the phone with ‘Simon my dear friend’ and then we would chat away for thirty minutes. I had known about his illness since the spring, but I kept it to myself hoping against hope that medical science would pull a hat out of the rabbit and give him a few more years but sadly it was not to be.

He has now passed on to the other pipe forum in the great beyond and will live now in our memories since David has gone to a place we cannot follow. We will always remember his generosity, kindness, and commitment to our community. Even though the embers of his pipe have been extinguished he will always be in our thoughts. His like we will not see again but maybe at some other time we will all meet up again to complain about the latest version of Condor plug in that great pipe Valhalla that awaits all devotees of the leaf.

He leaves behind a wife, Sue, and a daughter. I believe the funeral arrangements are private and Sue asks for privacy at this time to grieve.

Let us light a bowl in memory of our dear friend Weezell and be happy that his long journey is at an end, and he is now at peace in a place beyond suffering and illness and enjoying the company of some of our other brethren who have passed on before him. Rest in Peace my dear friend, may angels light your pipe as you cross the River Styxs.
A man could not ask for a more heart-felt eulogy.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
There are not enough words to express the profound sense of loss I feel currently. I am afraid I must inform you all that ‘Weezell’ passed away after a long period of illness. He was not only a close friend but also known to all of you on this forum by our mutual love of ‘cutty pipes’ horrible plug tobacco and equally off taste humor.

I met Dave through this forum, and we immediately bonded. He was a generous soul, tolerant but with very defined opinions. We spoke weekly but strangely only met once at the Columbus Pipe Show, exchanged pipes and tobacco every few weeks, yet every phone call or letter was like meeting for the first time. We shared similar interests, views, and tastes in tobacco and life in general. More often than not any off-color humor or jokes would emanate from our corner of the universe.

As the years passed, we would make a point of speaking most weekends and he would always answer the phone with ‘Simon my dear friend’ and then we would chat away for thirty minutes. I had known about his illness since the spring, but I kept it to myself hoping against hope that medical science would pull a hat out of the rabbit and give him a few more years but sadly it was not to be.

He has now passed on to the other pipe forum in the great beyond and will live now in our memories since David has gone to a place we cannot follow. We will always remember his generosity, kindness, and commitment to our community. Even though the embers of his pipe have been extinguished he will always be in our thoughts. His like we will not see again but maybe at some other time we will all meet up again to complain about the latest version of Condor plug in that great pipe Valhalla that awaits all devotees of the leaf.

He leaves behind a wife, Sue, and a daughter. I believe the funeral arrangements are private and Sue asks for privacy at this time to grieve.

Let us light a bowl in memory of our dear friend Weezell and be happy that his long journey is at an end, and he is now at peace in a place beyond suffering and illness and enjoying the company of some of our other brethren who have passed on before him. Rest in Peace my dear friend, may angels light your pipe as you cross the River Styxs.
I'm very sorry for your loss and ours. My condolences and prayers for you, him, and his family. Beautifully written tribute ... only a true friend could write that loving a memory of someone.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Sorry for the loss of your friend. Am now of an age when such losses are occurring. Most people do not accumulate many long-term friends in the course of life. We have lost 2 friends in the past year, 1 of whom was my wife's best friend. 3 others are dealing with dementia. Whoever said aging is not for the faint of heart was apt.:cry: