PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Jim Fix, the 1970's jogging guru died at a young age.

Wikipedia:
James Fuller Fixx (April 23, 1932 – July 20, 1984) was an American who wrote the 1977 best-selling book The Complete Book of Running. He is credited with helping start America's fitness revolution by popularizing the sport of running and demonstrating the health benefits of regular jogging. He died of a heart attack while jogging at 52 years of age

Kind of ironic
Not really. The dude got into fitness since men in his paternal line were kicking the bucket in their late 30's early 40's.

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania
He was huge his entire life, a fat kid that was bullied and shy and miserable that was his whole purpose for doing what he did. He wanted people to be healthier and feel better about themselves.

Oh right this is the interweb, never mind.
No, I get that. But anyone with a brain can see that jazzercising with a 2 lb. dumbell in each hand ain’t doing a damn thing other than making people feel good about themselves for doing next-to-nothing, instead of nothing. But don’t let me keep you from your jazzercise.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
No, I get that. But anyone with a brain can see that jazzercising with a 2 lb. dumbell in each hand ain’t doing a damn thing other than making people feel good about themselves for doing next-to-nothing, instead of nothing. But don’t let me keep you from your jazzercise.
Anything is better than nothing. And if he gave people some confidence to make some positive changes, it’s a good thing.

MattRVA

Lifer
Feb 6, 2019
Richmond Virginia
There was a podcast about him a few years ago that dug into his reclusive nature later in life. It was pretty interesting I thought. It was called Missing Richard Simmons.

Pip'n'Piper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 4, 2022
Jim Fix, the 1970's jogging guru died at a young age.

Wikipedia:
James Fuller Fixx (April 23, 1932 – July 20, 1984) was an American who wrote the 1977 best-selling book The Complete Book of Running. He is credited with helping start America's fitness revolution by popularizing the sport of running and demonstrating the health benefits of regular jogging. He died of a heart attack while jogging at 52 years of age

Kind of ironic

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
actually just being active at all for a lot of people does a lot to improve their health. It's probably one of the biggest indictments against modern lifestyles that even low impact getting off ones ass and moving around will add years to a persons life. Honestly the cancer risk between sitting on ones ass all day and actually just walking around for an additional 45 minutes a week is comparable to the cancer risks between smoking a pack of cigarettes and not smoking cigarettes.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
Anything is better than nothing. And if he gave people some confidence to make some positive changes, it’s a good thing.
So true. Any improvement is an improvement. And frankly as far as physical exercise goes motivation is critical.
Never liked Simmons but what he did as far as health and fitness was far superior to all the pharmaceutical 'shortcut diet pills' being pushed these days that I see all over the airwaves.
Anything that says there is a quick fix to being overweight is a scam. The hardest part is that it requires making actual long term changes and not just finding some magic trick. Worst thing though is our bodies don't know the difference internally between famine and a diet and all those crash diet things mess with metabolic process and make our bodies actually hold onto fat at a higher rate.