PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

MarcosEZLN

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 20, 2021
Birch Bay, WA, USA
He wasn't as active here as a couple other forums, but I wanted to get the word out for anyone who might not see the news elsewhere. I'm very sorry to report that Dan Merriman, @oldgeezersmoker, passed away last month. Dan had an extraordinary wealth of knowledge about pipes, tobacco and tobacco company history, as any of you familiar with his posts here probably noticed. We'd gotten to know each other a bit over the last year and I knew him to be friendly, thoughtful, and generous, with a dry sense of humor that I quite enjoyed. I'll miss him.
1000010033.jpg

Apr 2, 2018
Idong,South Korea.
He wasn't as active here as a couple other forums, but I wanted to get the word out for anyone who might not see the news elsewhere. I'm very sorry to report that Dan Merriman, @oldgeezersmoker, passed away last month. Dan had an extraordinary wealth of knowledge about pipes, tobacco and tobacco company history, as any of you familiar with his posts here probably noticed. We'd gotten to know each other a bit over the last year and I knew him to be friendly, thoughtful, and generous, with a dry sense of humor that I quite enjoyed. I'll miss him.
View attachment 260747
May he rest in peace.

Reactions: Tate and MarcosEZLN

chilly65

Might Stick Around
Nov 13, 2018
Marcos, that photo of Dan was taken at my house when he came and stayed a couple days back 3 or so years ago.
I just got a text that Dan had passed away last month, and it was the first I heard of it. We used to speak on the phone about once a month, and I was just thinking today that we hadn't spoken lately and I should call him.
He sure will be missed.
Mike Hagley

MarcosEZLN

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 20, 2021
Birch Bay, WA, USA
Marcos, that photo of Dan was taken at my house when he came and stayed a couple days back 3 or so years ago.
I just got a text that Dan had passed away last month, and it was the first I heard of it. We used to speak on the phone about once a month, and I was just thinking today that we hadn't spoken lately and I should call him.
He sure will be missed.
Mike Hagley
Sorry for your loss, Mike. I was just getting to know Dan, really, but I thought he was great. He'd reach out randomly to see how my girlfriend and I were liking our new house or share some interesting anecdote about Gawith Hoggarth blends I enjoyed. I'd bought a lot of those from him over the last year and he used to teasingly send me pictures of new Radices he bought with my money, which I loved. He was a funny, thoughtful guy and I'm sad I won't get to know him better. I've posted the news on multiple forums and the consensus opinion is that he was hugely knowledgeable and very generous with his time and expertise. His information was beyond reproach and the pipe community has taken a big loss with his passing.