PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 23, 2019
Suddenly found myself with a lot of time on my hands recently (I'm sure you can guess why...) so I could cracking on a couple of restoration projects. Here's an estate pipe I'm working on with a little rim damage, so my question is: what's my best options here?

(top-right of pipe rim here, by my index finger):
VpvEDiXl.jpg

(here's a zoomed in after the salt/alcohol bath):
mV1xR4Xl.jpg

Thanks in advance for any tips and suggestions! ?

Sonorisis

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 24, 2019
I don't know anything about this, really. But, I do see a lot of "restored" pipes on the web with beveled rims. There are conical stones, or 45 degree router bits, or spherical grinder balls, any of which could establish an even bevel as foundation for hand work.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
To me, this is a less-is-more situation. It's not much damage so I sure wouldn't top the bowl, and I wouldn't do anything significant to reshape the rim. The bowl doesn't have much extra briar to work with, so a light sanding and perhaps a little stain for cosmetic purposes would spruce up the appearance but not take much of a toll on the briar. You could top the bowl and buff the finish and leave it looking sort of bright and new, but all-in-all, I don't think that would do the pipe any favors. To me, a little wear is not a bad thing.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
I almost had to look twice to even see it. I’d smoke the hell outta that and not worry about it, but I understand what corona-boredom does to a man. I’d gently smooth it out with some 220, 320, 400, 600, 800, 1000 in that order. If you have the sandpaper, that is. Make sure you treat the entire inner rim evenly, lest you end up with a weird out-of-round shape.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I'd either leave it alone or as an alternative, put a small chamfer on the inside of the rim. Wouldn't be noticed and would take away the slightly charred rim. I think that would be the least "intrusive" thing you could do and still achieve your objective. Myself, I would leave it alone. Pipes are to be smoked. Of course one should take care of them but over the course of time, they're going to experience a battle scar here and there. Gives them character.

Jun 23, 2019
Thanks for all the great suggestions so far. I think the general consensus seems to be "less is more", which I definitely agree with.

I think if I stain the pipe a slightly darker brown and give the bowl a carbon-coat, the charred rim should be all but invisible.

Will update with progress.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Thanks for all the great suggestions so far. I think the general consensus seems to be "less is more", which I definitely agree with.

I think if I stain the pipe a slightly darker brown and give the bowl a carbon-coat, the charred rim should be all but invisible.

Will update with progress.
I’ve fixed these by slightly topping the bowl then chamfering the inner rim until the burn is gone. Gives it a nice easy load taper.

Jun 23, 2019
Just finished working the stem to a concert piano black; (will probably do another coat of Obsidian oil and then wax it for smoking).

As with the bowl/chamber I'm debating sanding the inside rim a bit into a slightly beveled opening or leaving it as is and giving it a Castello Aristocratica stain... Personally leaning towards the latter. Will mull it over while I prep some other pipes for restoration...

pZ4dFjdl.jpg

W4yX2h5l.jpg

It's a shame the paper is blocking the char on the rim in the second picture but it's really not a huge deal. Only when you look down the rim straight on can you notice the dents in the perfect circle.

I'm really quite pleased with how it's coming back to life, probably one of my best thrift finds/restoration projects.

Reactions: BROBS and jpmcwjr
Jun 23, 2019
For those following along:

Trying out a new technique to mimic the Castello Aristocratica finish (but with the more Danish red hue), stealing from the great Mark Rothko: infinite layers of highly diluted coats meticulously applied -

l5eIoKOl.jpg

Jun 23, 2019
Update #2: -

Sanding the inner rim down just a touch and applied this Aristocratic-ish stain and voila!

Lien4POl.jpg

Ni1SYiQl.jpg

Being an (A) grade, the grains really weren't much to look at but wherever possible I tried to blend/sand it into that "flaming" transition.

The bowl cleaned down to the bare briar easily and was in pretty great condition but I decided to give it a super thin and light carbon coating mostly to hide the charred rim.

Toying with the idea of a thin (1-2mm) band to A) accent the colors a little and B) to hide the slight different in dimension from cleaning the stem. Any suggestions on hardware is welcomed.

Status
Not open for further replies.