Review: W.O. Larsen Signature Vintage Mixture.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
dscf5025-600x504.jpg

This is one of those rare aromatics that tastes just like it smells. The tobacco itself is so good that I would smoke it uncased if they made such an animal. It is basically a toasty black cavendish mixture to which a little Virginia has added a nice high end tangy sweetness and a measure of burley has added body and fullness. Makes for a nice mild easy smoke with body from the burley and character from the Virginia. The cut is interesting and can make loading of small bowls a bit trying. The burley seems to have been pressed, sliced and rubbed, the cavendish is just chopped ribbon cut and the Virginia is broad cut across the leaf in large chunks.The topping is just heavenly. It is applied well so that the tobacco is not at all goopy, sticky or even overly moist. The tobacco comes straight from the tin with the same amount of moisture as any English blend. The aroma and topping flavour itself makes me want to eat this stuff right out of the tin with a salad fork. It seems to be a combination of vanilla, citrus and caramel. Reminds me of those old caramel fruit chewey candies that they used to sell in bulk in grocery stores back in the day but with more citrus. sort of like pineapple, marshmellows, vanilla and caramel all rolled into one. The wonderful Virgina in this blend seems to just match right up with the citrus note in the topping and of course with the sweetness of the caramel, vanilla marshmellow flavours to always keep a steady thin stream of lightly tangy, juicy sweetness flowing steadily through the smoking experience. It is not very strong with respect to nicotine which, to me, is a bonus. To those of you that prefer your tobacco to have a nic kick, I would still say try it. The lack of strength does not detract from the over all smoking experience in my opinion. It is an easy puffer with a tantalizing aroma that comes through in the smoke and greatly improves any surroundings. All this while being, at it's core, a high quality blend of high quality tobaccos good enough to be smoked without the topping. I am going to buy a tin of this every so often till I have a stash for sure.
Happy puffing all and to all a good puff.
P.
[Fixed Photo - Bob]

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
W.O. Larsen Signature is one of my favorite aromatics too.
You described it perfectly Phil.
I actually smoked this 6 bowls in a row in 6 different pipes non-stop one day. That is how good it is, and it obviously has no tongue bite if I can chain-smoke 6 bowls.
EVERY aromatic smoker should have this in their rotation, and the non-aro smokers that like Virginia, Burley and Cavendish should give it a try.

arko

Lurker
Sep 22, 2010
Copenhagen, Denmark
Good review!
If it has to be aromatic, this is the one to reach for. Used to smoke a lot of it back in the early days, and while I agree on your observations, ohin, I could add that I also used to pick up very fine notes of strawberry.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
I tried to post a pic of the tin but it did not post. this seems to happen to me from time to time for some reason? any advice oh maker of this fine space?

krgulick

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Thanks for the review ohin3. I shall definitely have to get some of this. AH, to be afflicted with TAD is a wonderful thing.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
Yeah arko I do find that the sweetness in this blend takes on the form of sweet strawberry jam or candy some times. Good observation. I just find myself wanting to chew while I smoke this because it seems so fruity, juicey, caramel and just generally tastey. Still say it remind me exactly of those old school individually wrapped fruit cream caramels that my grandma always had on hand. I think they were made by Heggys?

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Thanks for the review, Phil. Another blend to add to the never-ending list. Sounds as though this one will be moved up towards the top, though.
-Jason

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
Nice review Phil, thanks for posting it!
I have had this one on my to try list for quite some time. As soon as I get some funds for a TAD saved up I will be getting some to try.

hellar

Lurker
Oct 30, 2010
that sounds amazing. i think i am going to invest in a nice peterson pipe this week from pipesandcigars.com and i will have to order this tin aswell

surfmac211

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 28, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Hey Phil how does that featherweight smoke? I have been eying this one straight apple shape for a flake/reading pipe. I know they are small bowls, but how long is a average smoke in it. Obviously you just bought it so if you haven't got through a full bowl I understand. Very nice review btw. I think I might be making the same exact purchase as you very soon lol.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
@ hobie1dog: Yes, I first sampled this from the box pass. I was in love at first puff.
@surfmac211: It smokes very well. Much like my other Stanwells: problem free and very comfy. I like small pipes and I like to clench and this thing is so light in the teeth that it is just a dream to smoke. Small bowl yes, but even a bowl of ready rubbed or ribbon cut seem to still last at least a half hour. Then again I do smoke rather slowly.

Status
Not open for further replies.