PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

eazye77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 21, 2012
So back in Feb., on my birthday, I treated myself to a TAD and picked up another blend from Cornell & Diehl called Montford Point Marine. I wanted something different to smoke today so I cracked it open for the first time.

For those who are into latikia, this blend I would recommend. This is a combination of dark burly with latikia and perique.
When I first opened the tin I immediately smelled the smokiness of the lat and it reminded me of a smoldering campfire whit I love. It is a dark blend with dark brown burly flakes cut into ribbon strips for easy packing. Unlike my other favorite called Tuskegee Airman that comes in a breakable cube that can easily be rubbed out...(which I highly recommend as well!)
After I backed my pipe it light very easily and stayed lit throughout the bowl. I must say I was a bit apprehensive the first few pulls because due to the sent and the taste, I thought it was going to go in the same direction as Sam Gawith's Commonwealth, with for me is a tad much. I will speak more on that when I review that blend. I started to taste the smokiness of the lat with a nice aftertaste of the perique. Now I never had a lat per blend before so this was a real treat! The per was just enough so you know it was there, but nothing that over powered. As I reached the middle of the bowl, the lat flavor was very smooth! It laid very nicely on my tongue. There was not sensation of tongue bite at all! Also, the per continued to complement the lat and burly by submitting itself as a slight after flavor. I also found that the tobacco does produce a slight condensation in the pipe as you smoke, but nothing to complain about. The smoke is very smooth and cool in the mouth. I will say that this blend is on that must be sipped so you can really enjoy for richness of all the flavors! Puffing too fast will cause the pipe to run hot, but even when I had those moments the smoke remained smooth to the draw. When I hit the end of the pipe, the tobacco completely burned down to a nice white ash. Even after I finished the bowl, it didn't leave a heavy lat flavor in my mouth whatsoever. I think Montford is a good blend to smoke while sipping on your favorite tea or have just a bottle of water.
So if you are feeling adventurous I highly recommend trying Montford Point Marine. Cornell and Diehl did it again with another awesome blend to salute African American history!

Status
Not open for further replies.