PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
We knew it was coming and having used the CI site before it’s not that difficult, but I did like the old one better. It was easier to just bounce around checking things out. This takes getting used to and has some problems I’m sure will be fixed. Graphics of course are missing and the key wording on blends needs cleaned up. If you search a plug for example you’ll get some flake. Multiple tin discounts were never on all tins, but may just need fixing. If it was on a tin before a simple call can find out. The reviews are all lost which sucks, there was some good information lost. Some man-hours could go through and cut and paste them. **will work for tobacco** :mrgreen:
A real time shopping cart is a great ideal and standard upgrade, but will be inaccurate. That’s just the nature of the software and multiple carts. The only time we should hear bitching is just like SP’s cart, when it’s down to the last few tins ;)
In a few months, things will be corrected, completed, and the old site forgotten. Most important thing to remember is “you can always just call!”
Craig

I have a few wholesale companies that use this exact layout. I am used to it, and I can make my way through it easy enough, maybe because of my experience with the other sites. But, I have to wonder if it is going to be user friendly for newbies. I mean, I know what I need and how it would be categorized. But, finding a tin of tobacco by someone new to the hobby, and looking at that HUGE and insane list by someone who wouldn't know a Sutliff from a Gawith might have a shock trying to determine how to navigate to just get started. This is a great site for someone experienced in the hobby, but for a neophyte, you may get many who go on to more user friendly sites.
Oh yeh, and PIPE BOWL DIMENSIONS!!! That is the number 1 thing I look for in a pipe, and your lack of doing that one thing pushes me to other sources to buy my pipes.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
I think the new site has extra steps that make it a little less browsing friendly, edging up into the annoying realm. To me the tinned tobacco section seems particularly muddled.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
As I mentioned earlier, as new pipes get added to the site, weights and dimensions will be added.It's going to take some time to get them all on the site with about 5000 pipes in stock and on order.
Russ

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Just 5000? :D
I like the new layout but then order from CI on a semi often basis. Gotta keep the wife in cigars so she does not complain about my pipe tobacco.

colorduke

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 5, 2011
The new site is ok I just gotta get use to it, I still like the magazine they send.

Jan 8, 2013
I think it's going to take some getting used to for me, but once I browse a few times it should be a non issue. The layout is actually nice. I like the new look.

shortyeastcoast

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 28, 2013
The old site worked wonderfully on my phone/tablet, but the new one is pretty rough.
Still though, it's all the "out of stock" and "backordered" listings everywhere that are the real bother.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
It's a mighty big ship to turn around. I'm guessing that a lot of the data (like pipe dimensions, tobacco composition) isn't readily provided by the manufacturers, or not provided in a readily usable format. A lot of boring data entry and fact-checking to be done.

durham270

(Bailey's Briar)
Jan 30, 2013
Kentucky
It looks as though so many of the tobacco reviews are now missing. I did enjoy reading reviews when placing an order for something new.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
Actually, most of the measurements and weights are already entered in our system. Our site won't show the info right now because of a glitch. Our IT department is working on the problem. Once they figure it out, the stats will be available on most of the pipes on P&C.

Because the old site was hosted by Yahoo on a different platform, it would have been difficult, and time-consuming, to move all the reviews for over a thousand items. There is a place for reviews, so please feel free to write something about the products you've tried.
Russ

jservant98

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 19, 2013
Southern Oregon
I like the new site and my last order came very quickly. The only thing that confuses me is that the shipping charge for the Hearth and Home tobaccos seems to have increased, even if you are ordering four ounces or less. Disregard, I just went on there and it was only three dollars instead of eight. Must have been a glitch or something.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
Looks nice but they lost all the reviews. I got an e-mail asking me to review purchases, which I did, and they have not posted. Not sure if they are being moderated first or the site is still bugging out.

lawmax3

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2013
I do not like it.

Hard to navigate, difficult to look at the pipes, seems like a pain to fool with.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
Just noticed my "Wish List" has been erased as well. Damnit. That was how I kept track of future purchases I wanted to make ... I can't remember everything I had on there.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I tried to leave a review there but noticed the comments are not formatted at all so everything comes out as a wall of text. That should probably get fixed soon.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Just logged into my account on P&C's website to try to see what's up with a jar of wax that was ordered for christmas but was backordered and my account has no order history... ever.
And my wishlist has been wiped clean.
Anyone else encounter this problem with the new website?

Status
Not open for further replies.