Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bogfire

Might Stick Around
Apr 9, 2019
Hi, Just fired up a briar pipe with Old Port and went on 4 Noggins and ordered Peter Stokkebye: AMSTERDAM PIPE TOBACCO

And 4noggins Bulk: TEWKSBURY HOBBIT'S WEED MATCH. I ordered the Hobbit tobacco because I have a long stemmed Hobbit pipe and am a bit of a nerd for all things Tolkien.

I like to imagine I am smoking the same brand as the Hobbits and Gandalf, excepting the fact that they are fictional characters(or are they?)

Anyway, I forgot how much I had missed pipe smoking. To be economically conscious I tried vaping, but I did not find it satisfying and it gave me a headache.

I bought two glass jars for the tobacco and two pocket humidifiers to put in them. Anything else I need to do when the bulk tobacco arrives?

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Welcome to the forum. I like that Amsterdam quite a bit. If you're enjoying it, you'd also probably like Ryback (not Ryback Gold) from Daughters & Ryan. A pound can be had for under $25.
Be careful with the humidifier devices. Most pipe tobacco is well within an optimal window of moisture for jarring and storage. Save those for extreme recovery cases, if at all.
jay-roger.jpg

jazz

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2014
UK
Be careful with the humidifier devices. Most pipe tobacco is well within an optimal window of moisture for jarring and storage. Save those for extreme recovery cases, if at all.
I agree with Jay. If you're not careful with those you can end up with a jar full of mould.

cachimbero

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2019
Cordoba, Spain
If you like Tolkien related things, it is being said that his favourite tobacco was Capstan blue. It is available, you may try it. How the present tobacco compares with the Capstan smoked by Tolkien is another issue. probably many smokers here can tell us.

bogfire

Might Stick Around
Apr 9, 2019
Thanks for all the great replies. Cachimbero, Really appreciate the Capstan Blue recommendation will be sure to try it.

I will leave out the humidifiers for sure.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
You just have to remember that as the characters of Lord of the Rings were from the imagination of Tolkien, all the Lord of the Rings blends are from the imagination of people who never met Tolkien.

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
tufftony, I concur. I decided that at my age, I’m going to do the things that make life enjoy. Piping/great tobacco is at the top of that list.

Status
Not open for further replies.