PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

indianafrank

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 15, 2014
Congrats Mike.
Retirement and the idea of retirement is different for everyone. Some cherish it, others well...

Jan 8, 2013
I'm not retired (don't know if I ever will) so I really can't give you any advise.. at least not by experience. But I like to think, that if I ever do retire, I'm going to find the time to do a lot of things I always wanted to do but didn't have the time for.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Take it real easy for a while. I think the idea of retiring is a big deal, in the back of many people's minds. You think you just go right on and pick up your new agenda, but it is a bigger emotional step than one may think. So give yourself room and time to adjust, get plenty of rest, and tend to your health until you get your footing. Once you see how engaged you are with your new life, off you'll go again. But allow yourself to make the change.

didache

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2017
London, England
Thanks again guys.
mso489 is right - there is an emotional dimension to this which people don't always appreciate until they are in this position. Most of us, especially those of us in 'vocational' type jobs, probably define ourselves largely by the job we do. When that is taken away there is a risk that we may feel as though the purpose of life has been diminished. My wife, a wise woman, tells me not to close doors to future service, but to wait long enough to know that is what I really want to do. She knows me better than I know myself, I think.
In the meantime, I am simply looking forward to an extra hour in bed of a morning :puffy:
Mike

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I should have seen my pastor when I retired, but I'd just gotten re-married after being a widower for a long time, so felt I'd been seen. Typical male reaction. We don't tend our emotions especially well. Having a wife sure helps.

davidintexas

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 4, 2013
Congratulations Mike. After you have recovered then you can start on that garden in the spring right? A cob with some St. Bruno or Condor will be just right as you're hoeing those weeds :wink:

snoopy311

Can't Leave
Dec 21, 2016
Congrats Mike. I didn’t think clergy ever really retired. Best wishes for your future.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Congratulations! You now will need to be even more mindful of your schedule, or you will find yourself busier than you were when you had a career. My dad needed to dial back his "projects" after he retired, he was heading for exhaustion!
Enjoy!

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
Bless you Sir,

Will take a while for you to acclimate to retirement. I think, time heals all.

Best to you & yours.

You will always be needed & loved.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
So you're retiring from a one day a week job eh? :wink:
Seriously though Mike, I wish you all the best in your retirement.....I'm sure you'll find Bristol a lot less hurried than London and likely a much healthier location.
Regards,
Jay.

didache

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2017
London, England
Just checking in!
The move went fine, although the spare bedroom is full of boxes which will need to be unpacked over the next few weeks. At least we have somewhere to eat, somewhere to sit, and somewhere to sleep!
The dog is mightily confuzzled though :mrgreen:
Mike

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Eric, with all due respect I do not 'pose'.....though some ex-girlfriends might beg to differ :D
Mike, if the dog is bamboozled by the move perhaps you might keep him/her busy by hiding small treats around the house.....that's an old trick to get a dog to relocate more easily.
Regards,
Jay.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
A clergy job is NOT one day a week. It is like a duck on a pond. It looks easy, but you have no idea how much effort is going on under the surface.
Congrats Mike.

didache

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2017
London, England
winton .. that is a new analogy to me, but not a bad one at all!
Anyway, today we have our grandson with us so we are taking a day's break from unpacking. Some things are more important than being tidy.
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.