PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Country Bladesmith, I think yours look pretty dam fine!
That looks like Morta wood.
Try using a larger Dremel bit unless you want it that fine. And maybe a little more random?
What the hell do I know anyway, I'm just talking out my ass?
If you ask ten different people you'll get ten different suggestions as to what they think is right.
Continue learning, but do it your way and own it.
Keep up the great work!

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Country Bladesmith, I think yours look pretty dam fine!
That looks like Morta wood.
Try using a larger Dremel bit unless you want it that fine. And maybe a little more random?
What the hell do I know anyway, I'm just talking out my ass?
If you ask ten different people you'll get ten different suggestions as to what they think is right.
Continue learning, but do it your way and own it.
Keep up the great work!
Yes, it was morta. I thought if I could use a fine point I could sort of chase the grain with it and make it look more like a blast, but it didn’t really. It turned out being something else, which is fine, but not quite what I was shooting for. I made that set for a very good friend, and he was more than pleased with it, so I have no worries about it, but you learn things every time you try something new. Sometimes things work just like you planned, and sometimes they don’t. And then you come up with more new ideas to test out. It never ends! ?

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
FWIW, if you're not a member of the Pipe Makers Forum, think about joining the forum and posting your pipes in the gallery section and request a critique.
Don't be offended by what might come across or perceived as being vindictive or mean.
Their combined weight of experience will help you improve in spades.
It might come across like they're Marine Corps Drill Sergeants, (Come to think of it, hell maybe some of them ARE, former Marine Corps Drill Sergeants) but they will be no banners, no bullshit, 100% honest with you.
And if you can accept that; it will make what they tell you a lot easier to take.
Trust me, I know! lol :col:

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
FWIW, if you're not a member of the Pipe Makers Forum, think about joining the forum and posting your pipes in the gallery section and request a critique.
Don't be offended by what might come across or perceived as being vindictive or mean.
Their combined weight of experience will help you improve in spades.
It might come across like they're Marine Corps Drill Sergeants, (Come to think of it, hell maybe some of them ARE, former Marine Corps Drill Sergeants) but they will be no banners, no bullshit, 100% honest with you.
And if you can accept that; it will make what they tell you a lot easier to take.
Trust me, I know! lol :col:
I am a member, but haven’t posted much. I agree, that site is a wealth of information.

Reactions: newbroom

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
LotusEaster, here are a few before pics.
gryWItP.jpg

YcM8h0j.jpg

RGHu9QF.jpg
yeah you improved it.

LikeDadDid

Can't Leave
Apr 27, 2021
Virginia Beach
I'm a little lost here. I like your version better I guess - it looks really nice! - but then, you've created an altogether different pipe. What prompted you to do this?

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
LDD, I changed the original pipe because of feedback I received from folks on the Pipe Makers Forum loose the plateaux, make it sleeker, cut down the size, and re-bend the stem. I thought it over and decided in this case that their comments and advice was sound.

As far as pipe dynamics, dimensions etc. their are very specific rules. A billiard being a classic example of those pipe dynamics. An Apple, A Brandy. A cutty and on and on it goes.

I follow the rules to learn HOW to make a good billiard to the point that it will be a good billiard according to what a billiard should look like and then let it become a natural process that you can do blindfold.

The first iteration of this pipe IMHO was fine too. I like Dublin's and have several. A few huge ones with big plateaux rims.
All pipes, even Freehands have to have symmetry. Not lopsided or asymmetrical.
I'm learning too look with my eyes and 'see'.
People on the PMF make comments and I think to myself, "Where the fuck did that come from? Why didn't I see it when I was trying to see?
But that's how we learn, oi?
Well it's how I learn.
Once you can do the HOW down to an art, you can then do your own gig but still fall within the guide lines.
I mean, you can put a stem on anything and call it a billiard. You can then post it on the PMF forum and proclaim, 'Look at my awesome billiard!!!"
Then it starts.
Members will attempt to give some guidelines even going so far as to take the picture you posted and draw 'correction' lines on it to help you LEARN.
And you can adamantly refuse to accept advice even going so far as to argue, argue, argue that you are right and all of thems (misspelled on purpose) is wrong until a certain member will loose his cool, calm, polite demeanor and blow his/her lid and tear you a new ventilation system.
I've always thought that being able to breath through a secondary system could, at times, be very useful.
Anyway, WTF was I talking about?
I'm just a broken down old guy, pretend, amateur hobby pipe maker.
Now that I've blown smoke up your ass for the length of this missive: I'm going to go and have my afternoon nap.
Happy puffing!

Reactions: Toast

Jerry144

Might Stick Around
May 2, 2021
Well - from another broken down old guy - I think the 'before' was a pretty pipe that I would be proud to own.

But, to me, the 'after' one is really special. Congratulations!

Status
Not open for further replies.