PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Fralphog

Lifer
Oct 28, 2021
Idaho
I recently purchased two estate pipes at an antique store. One was a Savinelle Capri with an acrylic stem. The other pipe was a House of Roberston pipe with a vulcanite stem.

Today I was working on cleaning up the stems on both pipes. I started on the vulcanite stem first. It took longer because I had to clean the airway and polish the outside of the stem to remove the oxidation.
Once I got that one done, I started working on the acrylic stem. There wasn’t much to do on the outside except for a good scrubbing. When I was cleaning the airway, it seem to clean up quicker than the vulcanite. Of course it’s impossible to compare the two because you don’t know how much each one was smoked and cleaned respectively.
However, has anyone noticed that vulcanite stems tend to get dirtier faster? Or in other words does the porous nature of vulcanite allow it to build up tar residue faster than Acrylic?

image.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I haven't noticed much discoloration or oxidation of any kind on acrylic. They stay pretty bright and uniform. The wear on Vulcanite is oxidation, the price we pay for softer bits for our teeth. With acrylic, I just don't see much problem with cleaning or polishing it.

Fralphog

Lifer
Oct 28, 2021
Idaho
Acrylic doesn't oxidize. Other than soap and water and maybe a polishing to remove scratches and teeth marks, there's nothing more to do. Just don't use alcohol on the acrylic.
Hmm, what do you use on acrylic To get all the tar out? Confession, I did use Everclear to clean the inside of the acrylic stem. Does it damage it?
I haven't noticed much discoloration or oxidation of any kind on acrylic. They stay pretty bright and uniform. The wear on Vulcanite is oxidation, the price we pay for softer bits for our teeth. With acrylic, I just don't see much problem with cleaning or polishing it.
I should’ve been more specific. I was talking about the inside of the stem the airway. I was aware that acrylic doesn’t oxidize. It does make me prefer acrylic on heavier pipes since I don’t clinch those very often.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
Hmm, what do you use on acrylic To get all the tar out? Confession, I did use Everclear to clean the inside of the acrylic stem. Does it damage it?
Dish detergent and hot water. Scrub with a shank brush or bristle pipe cleaner. This acylic/alcohol compatibility chart suggests isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol is fine at room temperature, but ethyl (drinking) alcohol over 15% is not:

Fralphog

Lifer
Oct 28, 2021
Idaho
Dish detergent and hot water. Scrub with a shank brush or bristle pipe cleaner. This acylic/alcohol compatibility chart suggests isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol is fine at room temperature, but ethyl (drinking) alcohol over 15% is not:
Thanks!
Well, I used Everclear on the Acrylic stem today? Hopefully no significant damage. I use a nylon brush and bristled pipe cleaners followed hot water rinses frequently.

Ksigel

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 16, 2021
Connecticut
Don't use Everclear on the stem. It will eventually weaken the stem and you will probably break it.
On the Reborn Pipes Steve mentioned that a deoxidizer from a lbpens.webs.com called Before and After. It is designed to be used with a fine and extra fine polish. He did mention that you had to follow the directions PRECISELY, but he said it really was a great product. I seem to recall that on that web site they talk about restoring acrylic. I might be mistaken, as is often the case. Nevertheless check out the site. You might find something on acrylic.

While on the subject of stems, does anyone know how I can get a hold of a stem for Peterson 101? I have a restoration in progress, just missing the stem.

Ksigel

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 16, 2021
Connecticut
Just to clarify, the description of Before and After does not mention acrylic. I have some on order, and will update once I have given it a try

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Just to clarify, the description of Before and After does not mention acrylic. I have some on order, and will update once I have given it a try
It's made for vulcanite. Alcohol won't damage vulcanite.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I should’ve been more specific. I was talking about the inside of the stem the airway. I was aware that acrylic doesn’t oxidize. It does make me prefer acrylic on heavier pipes since I don’t clinch those very often.
I just use a non scented dish washing gel with pipe cleaners or a shank brush and warm water to clean the airway of an acrylic stem.

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I've used Before and After and with a very badly oxidized stem it did come out black and totally matte, as the instructions said it would. The polishes are too fine to restore luster. You'll need to use something like Micromesh pads to bring the stem up to a high gloss.
I'm not convinced that it does anything much that working with Micromesh pads won't do. Oxidized vulcanite, and I'm referring to discolored vulcanite, not the crud residue that forms from ones mouth, needs to be completely eradicated or the oxidation will continue. Think of it as diseased tissue that infects neighboring tissue. It needs to be completely removed. With really orange stems you're better off replacing the stem, as the amount of material that needs to be removed will change the circumference of the stem sufficiently to uin the contour line from the bowl to the button.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Ksigel

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 16, 2021
Connecticut
T
I've used Before and After and with a very badly oxidized stem it did come out black and totally matte, as the instructions said it would. The polishes are too fine to restore luster. You'll need to use something like Micromesh pads to bring the stem up to a high gloss.
I'm not convinced that it does anything much that working with Micromesh pads won't do. Oxidized vulcanite, and I'm referring to discolored vulcanite, not the crud residue that forms from ones mouth, needs to be completely eradicated or the oxidation will continue. Think of it as diseased tissue that infects neighboring tissue. It needs to be completely removed. With really orange stems you're better off replacing the stem, as the amount of material that needs to be removed will change the circumference of the stem sufficiently to uin the contour line from the bowl to the button.
Good to know. I have just started restoring pipes. Currently I use Oxyclean, fine sandpaper and micro mesh pads. These, along with Obsidian Oil, get to a great shine. I got interested in Before and After to save some labor. The stems I am working on are often totally discolored. Good to hear about your experiences. I am in a big learning phase.

Schmotz40

Lurker
Jan 8, 2022
Delaware
I remember a few years ago I spilled some isopropyl alcohol on a cigar lighter I had that was made of acrylic and it cracked the body so bad that it no longer held butane so I will more than likely never use alcohol on an acrylic stem

Reactions: jpmcwjr