PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
After spending the past 10 weeks in recovery from my illness, lung surgery, and other assorted good times, I finally felt like getting back to the shop. My victim for this session was really a challenge- It was what I guess to be a late 1800's Meer with a fragment of the amber stem and bone tenon remaining....and it was small- 3.25" in length with what appears to be a group 6 bowl. The bone tenon was split lengthwise and was fairly unusual- it had the typical thread on one end, but was a tapered fit on the other end. It's one of those deals where an integral tenon was impossible due to the thinness of the tapered end, so I went with a Delrin tenon and tigereye acrylic for the stem. Here are a few pics of the process...
x0y2bl.jpg

14d1pmx.jpg

52aolh.jpg

2mc8vvk.jpg

ern14k.jpg

2mqoi83.jpg

4j6p0g.jpg

es6ck3.jpg

j5vyu0.jpg

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
That's awesome work my friend! I always thought those dragon claw pipes were just for looks. Didn't really realize people actually smoked them..... intriguing...

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
even better respirator. That's the same one I use at fire scenes.
Yep- I have good dust control, but the left lung is still functioning at 80%....Taking no chances until it's back to normal.... (the problem wasn't all the things you would expect- it was inhaling a tiny steakbone maybe 10 months ago creating an empyema...) This respirator works really well....

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Glad to see you are feeling better, Zack.
And now for something completely different ...
QUHUdg5.png

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Nice!!
Yes, I've seen a bunch of claws for sale at the WCPS, and picked up one for me. Still haven't smoked it, as I am concentrating on some other new ones.

Jan 8, 2013
I love everything about that pipe! :clap: Good to see you're feeling well enough to do stuff. You're missing the black helmet and cape to go along with the mask.
I always thought those dragon claw pipes were just for looks. Didn't really realize people actually smoked them.....
I have two that I smoke the heck out of, and another I smoke on occasion. :mrgreen: My rule: If it's drilled as a pipe it's meant to be smoked as a pipe.

bluesmk

Can't Leave
Jul 13, 2013
Bethlehem,PA
Great to see you back at work and feeling better Zak. Lovely old meer. I've been using the same respirator for a few years now.

Dan

Gabrieli Pipes

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Wow I’m kind of obsessed with this pipe. And the case. Really nice work, that’s the first meer I’ve ever found appealing.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
They show up quite often, they just take for ever to color unless you get an old one that some broke in for you a hundred odd years ago!

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
  1. Generally speaking, how's the draw on old meerschaums? I have only one vintage meer--an old English curry. It's super tight and I don't dare try opening up an old amber stem.
    That's one REALLY cool claw! And great job with the restoration.

Status
Not open for further replies.