Restoring a “wasted” briar pipe with plaster.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

RedAndy

Lurker
Jul 24, 2024
Hello. I have a question for experienced pipe restorers and hobby enthusiast. I bought through EBay a beautiful used Apple Red Killarney Peterson pipe that on the sale image looked fine.
When I received it I noticed that the bowl looked different from seller’s pictures. It was way too reamed, way too thin walls. Now, I was thinking of restoring it for personal use. The question is: can I use plaster of Paris to plaster the inside walls of the bowl? I mean, I don’t want to do any too foolish, smoking a pipe once in a while is enough of a health concern for me. I don’t know if it is safe to use, as like meerschaum is or if will be worth it, otherwise I will send it back for a refund.
Thanks, your answers are well appreciated.

Dec 6, 2019
Dixieland
I bought an estate pipe sometime ago that was over-reamed (walls and base)
View attachment 326361

I decided to keep it as I liked the pipe and the return postage would almost be the cost of the pipe.

I applied JB Weld to reinforce the walls and base
Then applied 2-3 coats of pipe mud.
Allowed 7-10 drying time

Pipe smokes fine now

I'm not being a smartass, I'm just curious. I'm all for fixing a pipe.

You dont mind smoking an ember laid that closely to the JB weld?

proteus

Lifer
May 20, 2023
Connecticut (shade leaf tobacco country)
I've restored many pipes using Plaster of Paris (PoP) mixed with charcoal for filler to make walls thicker, fill in bases of corn cobs and fix burn outs. Ash and water isn't my choice. Not strong enough. Make a base. Let dry. Make paste and spread on walls smoothing with a large round dowel just smaller than the hole. I'd use a 5/8 diameter. I would sand the inside to base wood and leave it a bit rough say 80 grit finish. Helps to promote adhesion.