PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

driver

Lurker
Aug 17, 2013
Very nice! It looks like they all cleaned up really well. I LOVE that Grabow.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Thanks driver, they did clean up pretty well. Most weren't in that bad shape. Actually, that last Old England was in the worst shape so far. It had a lot of cake, and after I reamed it I found that someone had done a pretty rough ream job on it before, was a little rim damage but nothing major. There was also some rim charing. The rim still looks a little rough, but not real bad or anything. It was also missing the "spot" inlay on the stem, I fixed that with a plastic coat hanger! The stem was also heavily oxidized, and had some rough spots. The outside of the bowl wasn't to bad though. I still have one more pipe to fix up, an Ehrlich, but it's gonna need some real work! It has a pretty good sized burnout in the bowl, but I think it can be saved with some mudding. I'll post some pics of it when I get around to restoring it.

irishjedi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 31, 2013
Love the Charatan :puffpipe: Thanks for the pics, and very nice work :)
Mike

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Pete:
Amazing cleanup work, but I'm just as excited about the pipes.
Those Sasieni Old England pipes might end up being you best burners in spite of that lovely Charatan. (Is there a shield on the top of the stem with an exaggerated S in the middle? The white dot on the side is throwing me.)
I'm also falling in love with that classic Ehrlich billiard. It's beautiful.
Fnord

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
@fnord, somebody else had told me at one time that those Old Englands were made by Sasieni, I had never heard of them before. And yes, they are very good smokers! I do have to say, that I think the Ehrlichs are actually the best smokers of the bunch, especially the Straight Grain! As for the dots on the Old Englands, those are the only Old Englands I've ever seen, so I don't know how common that inlay was. Also, there's no shield on the anywhere. I don't have them in front of me right now, I'm at work, but the nomenclature to the best of my memory, reads; "Old England Virgin Briar", and either "France" or "Made in France". The longer one with the cream colored spot also has the designation "27N" on it. Thanks for the compliments, by the way!

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
I'm also falling in love with that classic Ehrlich billiard. It's beautiful.
+1 on that.
I do have to say, that I think the Ehrlichs are actually the best smokers of the bunch
Good to hear. I have a small Ehrlich pot and have never had a bad smoke out of it. It is a workhorse.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
@sallow, I know what you mean, my Ehrlichs are wonderful smokers, and never fail to be cool, dry burners! They're very well built pipes, when I first got them I posted about it because I'd never heard of them, and someone said they used to be refered to as the "Poor Man's Dunhill". I believe it! Good to know I'm not alone, though I believe there are several Ehrlich fans on the forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.