PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

okiebrad

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 13, 2016
I am looking for suggested reading to the art of restoration of pipes. I would like to know how did you start. What did you read? What tools do you use? I have recently purchased about 20 pipes for about a buck each. They include Milano, Royal Duke, Knick, Van Roy, Medico and Wellington, just to name a few. My goal is to learn how to correctly clean and restore these pipes and to some day enjoy smoking them.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Lots of good refurb related info from a number of top-shelf carvers here:
http://www.pipemakersforum.com/forum/index.php

xrundog

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
When I started I bought a how-to video. Don't remember who made it. It was great for the basics. Then I asked a lot of questions on the forums, bought and worked on a lot of cheap pipes and developed my own methodology.
One important decision you will make is how far to go. What era of, or type of pipe will you collect? Are you a stripper and refinisher? Or do you like and want to preserve the original patina? Will you do your own re-stem or try to preserve the original? The answers to those questions will determine how you go about cleaning and restoration. I'm sure many people will be glad to offer opinions and tips. Me included.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I'm a hobbyist and enjoying doing my own restorations (I can't make stems - George D does that for me!) I post my restorations on the Reborn Pipes blog (under "upshallfan").

http://rebornpipes.com/author/upshallfan/

kf4bsb

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 23, 2013
xrundog, I think I am going to do my own video for the heck of it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Not a resto' guy myself, but some Forums members do a breathtaking job on some very worn and ragged "before" pipes, so that I feel sure they look far better than they did when new.

okiebrad

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 13, 2016
Thanks for the link SSjones. I will surely check that out.
Xrundog, My current goal is to just take these pipes and turn them into something I can use. Of course I would like for them to look nice. My plan is to keep them as close to original as possible. A couple have cracks so I will use those to practice. I tie my own flies for fishing so I don't mind spending a little extra time to make sure it is correct.

literaryworkshop

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 10, 2014
Mobile, AL
There are almost no books on the subject of making or restoring pipes. Fortunately, we now have the internet. Pipemaker's Forum is a great place to start.

Status
Not open for further replies.