PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dlattim

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 27, 2012
One of my favorite of the old timers. He stopped loving her today. Just want to pay a short tribute to one of the greats.

lincolnsbark

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2013
Even us younger country fans are saddened today. Listened to George Jones all morning in tribute.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Yep, one of the giants. I guess Merle and Willie are the only ones left and Willie really isn't a part of the Old Guard.
Saw where the NY Times said he got the nickname "Possum" because he was always missing show dates. The truth is it cam from a song titled "Possum Holler" that he did many, many years ago.

jbbaldwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 1, 2012
He was my dad's favorite, so I was raised on a steady diet of his music, especially the early stuff with photos of him with a crew cut on the record jacket.
He had a sense of humor, too. He is on an album as a guest with Run C&W doing some Motown covers, plus this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THv5-2J_uQo

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Funny story. It had to be 50 years ago but he gave a concert in Kansas City, Kansas, with Porter Waggoner, Dolly Parton, and a couple of others. Anyway the person handling the sound kept trying to make adjustment to the sound while Jones was singing. Finally Jones got mad, stopped his song and said "Whoever is handling the sound I want you to turn it up, leave it up and if I have to I'll back up!".

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
RIP George. Although I’m not much of a country music fan, I appreciate the quality of authenticity he had...a quality sorely lacking throughout the entirety of the bleak landscape that is pop culture these days.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
'Have a friend who is a composer of avant guard music and uses principally the synthesizer as well as

playing several other instruments -- sax, guitar, etc. He recently completed a Guggenheim grant where

he bought together musicians from around the world playing instruments from many different cultures.

My friend called me in mourning to have a wake over the phone for George Jones, who he valued for his

musical depth and authenticity. So you see, Jones didn't just belong to C&W bar patrons and fans. He

had a powerful influence on music across the genres and spectrums. Wail on, Mighty George.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
I've always enjoyed George Jone's cowboy twang voice. He was an original. I'll never forget his take on White Lightening. RIP George, now singing in that great big rodeo in the sky.

Status
Not open for further replies.