PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sgtgrimm

Lurker
Sep 1, 2019
Hey Folks,
I'm Will Ghormley. My interest in tobacco pipe smoking is primarily historical in nature. I'm an Immersive Anthropologist. I learn about past cultures and societies through reenacting. Most folks think of this type of activity more as being a reenactor. And for those who do it for a hobby rather than a learning life experience, I suppose that is an adequate term.
My pipe smoking is largely confined to reenacting historical settings that would normally include smoking a pipe. So, from pipes of the Revolutionary War, small clay pipes used during the Fur Trapping Era, to pipes smoked during WWII, I research and collect pipes and accoutrements from different eras. I don't spend any more time than necessary in the 21st Century.
This is made easier because I make my living recreating and manufacturing authentic leather cowboy gear of the Old West. Most of what I make I sell directly to fellow reenactors, western action shooters, some museums, and occasionally movies. I'm probably best known for the 84 pieces I made for the remake of "3:10 to Yuma", including the Hand of God rig and the Flames of Hell rig, as well as most of the gear worn by the "Wade Gang". That's my segue into why I have joined this forum.
Since I make hand-made custom leather goods, I realized there may be some interest within the pipe smoking community for quality high-end leather accessories. But before I spend much time designing, engineering, and manufacturing a line of pipe accessories, I thought I should consult the experts. Any line of leather accessories I would manufacture would have more of an Old West or vintage flavor rather than the slick accessories available. There might not be a demand for something like that.
So I was wondering if the folks on this forum could give me some advice on what is needed (if anything). Since all of my gear is made one-at-a-time and hand-stitched, my prices are not competitive with factory produced gear. But if collectors are looking for unique, limited, hand-made-in-the-U.S.A., it's hard to find that from a factory.
I'm open to suggestions.
Thank you all for your time,

Will

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
Welcome aboard! An interesting project. I'm sure you'll get a lot of feedback/ideas from the forum members.
Good luck!

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
Yes, welcome to the forum Will. It sounds like you would essentially be competing for high-end business with Smoking Holsters and Claudio Albieri. Both make very high quality leather goods for pipe smokers. The leather items I have seen are pipe bags, pipe rolls, tobacco pouches, pipe ”socks” for storing, loops of tooled leather or leather beanbags used as portable pipe stands, tobacco mats, and collapsible tobacco trays with snaps used to form the corners. Back in the 1950s-1970s, leather-wrapped pipes were popular.
One possibility for a new product might be a specialized leather vest. I know guys who wear fishing vests to pipe shows so they have plenty of pockets to stash pipes, tobacco, and accessories. Maybe a nice supple leather version would appeal to some. And of course, leather offers some protection from the occasional flying ember.
Finally, you could collaborate with another forum member, chilllucky, on a western-themed version of his leather-wrapped SCOOSA pipe bag/cabinet.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Welcome Will.

If you're ever looking for NOS antique pipes up to 100yo, markenpipes.com have some beauties.

I've bought many pipes from the gentleman when he sold on ebay. Prices are very reasonable, postage is cheap and sales service is very good. [I've since bought a few more pipes from his website]
I like Craiginthecorns suggestion re; a leather vest.

sgtgrimm

Lurker
Sep 1, 2019
Thanks for the warm welcome and great suggestions! I looked up the makers mentioned above and enjoyed the quality of their workmanship. I think my products will probably have more of a rustic, frontier, saddle-tramp, style to them. Diversity allows for more individual expression when choosing accessories.
I've made some rough prototypes to get a feel for what I might want to offer.
Thank you for your feedback!

Will

Last edited by a moderator:

unadoptedlamp

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 19, 2014
Leather smoking jacket, no frills. But, absolutely, without a doubt, not a vest. No offence to the fly fishers doubling up the use of a fishing vest, but I'd prefer something a bit more classy if I'm going to fork out a grand on something to wear. I'm also a minimalist and like clean lines, so maybe my tastes aren't aligned so much with others around here. Still... a leather smoking jacket could be interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.