PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

cragdhack

Might Stick Around
Aug 31, 2021
Romania
Hello everyone,

A friend from the USA has sent me a Christmas card and along with it, safely packaged, a tobacco pipe!

He's not a smoker and we haven't discussed the pipe yet, but I'd like to know some more about it, if possible.

The surface where there'd be a name seems blank. It looks barely smoked, though the stem had quite a bit of chatter, so it was probably an estate pipe with a new stem. The design looks familiar to me, might have seen it on the left-side banner on this forum, but I can't find it again.

Thanks in advance for helping.

(Click spoilers to open up photos)

1674210712978.png
1674210767316.png
1674210817046.png
1674210841167.png

cragdhack

Might Stick Around
Aug 31, 2021
Romania
Here you go.

Thanks!

Currently that link's giving me a 403 error, will figure that out after work.

As a note: It seems to smoke pretty well. No hotspots or any weirdness that I can detect, so am unsure why it got basketted, it's an absolute beaut!

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
Thanks!

Currently that link's giving me a 403 error, will figure that out after work.

As a note: It seems to smoke pretty well. No hotspots or any weirdness that I can detect, so am unsure why it got basketted, it's an absolute beaut!
Sparta doesn't really grade pipes, they just fill orders. They make unstamped "basket" pipes for wholesale to tobacconists, many of whom will put there own stamp on the pipe and sell it as a house brand pipe. It's not an indication of quality control. If Sparta has an order for 500 unstamped rusticated pipes, thats what gets made that day regardless of quality of briar. Dr G & other Sparta made pipes are generally great smokers, not the prettiest or most costly but solid reliable pipes none the less. I have quite a few Dr G's and every one of em smokes cool and dry.

Reactions: SBC and cragdhack

cragdhack

Might Stick Around
Aug 31, 2021
Romania
Sparta doesn't really grade pipes, they just fill orders. They make unstamped "basket" pipes for wholesale to tobacconists, many of whom will put there own stamp on the pipe and sell it as a house brand pipe. It's not an indication of quality control. If Sparta has an order for 500 unstamped rusticated pipes, thats what gets made that day regardless of quality of briar. Dr G & other Sparta made pipes are generally great smokers, not the prettiest or most costly but solid reliable pipes none the less. I have quite a few Dr G's and every one of em smokes cool and dry.
Thank you for the insight!

Reactions: RustiePyles CPG

ADKPiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 13, 2020
Adirondack Mountains
Maybe this?

il_794xN.4444135339_f5t2.jpg

Reactions: cragdhack and Deano