Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
This is really more repairing a repair. Someone decided they would repair this Pre-Republic Shamrock Prince’s broken tenon with an aluminum threaded tenon like a meerschaum. They probably just wanted to return their smoking device to service again, and they accomplished that. But just good enough is not good enough for me. It was a functional but poor repair. So I decided to right this repair with a new vulcanite tenon.

The first step was ream the shank back to a smooth parallel mortis and get rid of the threads. I measured the aluminum tenon and found that they had used a 5/16-18 thread. So I could ream the mortis to 5/16 and get rid of the threads. I did this reaming it with fractional drills chucked in a vise. Stepping up one bit every time until I was at 5/16”. This left me with sufficient meat in the shank for a proper mortis. IMG_6947.jpegIMG_6948.jpeg
Then it was time to tackle the tenon itself. The previous repairman did an ok job cutting the threads in the stem. I was able to reuse them after a little clean up.

I started by turning my tenon down to fit the shank/mortis. Then I thread the back of the tenon fit into the stem, I had to adjust it quite a bit to get it to fit with threads full seated and concealed in the stem so no threads would be visible once the tenon was glued into place.
IMG_6949.jpegIMG_6950.jpegIMG_6951.jpegIMG_6953.jpegIMG_6954.jpeg

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
I glued the tenon into the stem while the tenon was still on the lathe so get some torque on it to properly seat it in the stem. I parted the whole thing off one the glue was dry.

I left the bore of the tenon small when I cut on the lathe so I could ream it to size with original bore of the stem by hand. I reamed it with a tapered reamer to give it a funnel. I also funneled the end of the tenon to 60d.
IMG_6955.jpegIMG_6956.jpegIMG_6957.jpeg
Then it was time clean up the stem and tweak it a bit to fit perfectly. I also started in on the stummel at this time. I used a little Carbon-Off to get the lava off the rim and gave it light reaming. Then polished the band and briar. IMG_6958.jpegIMG_6959.jpegIMG_6960.jpegIMG_6961.jpeg
This Pre-Republic Shamrock Prince is ready for another 75 years of service.😁

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
people are looking for “hacks” to make jobs easy
😑 I dislike that word. Unless we're talking about sidecars, replaceable blade metal hand saws, second hand stopping function of automatic watches, or people who claim to be experts but are just plain bad at something.

I feel like it's social media buzzword used by those of less than average intelligence to describe learning a basic life skill way later than they should have.

Check it out fam🤪 I just learned this NEW life hack. I just had this cool new thing delivered to my apartment! It's called a ""washing machine""! I can put my dirty clothes in it, turn this knob and it CLEANS my clothes! I can wear them more than once now! Your gonna wanna get one of these things guys. Duck lips-peace.

😖🤬🤢🤮

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
😑 I dislike that word. Unless we're talking about sidecars, replaceable blade metal hand saws, second hand stopping function of automatic watches, or people who claim to be experts but are just plain bad at something.

I feel like it's social media buzzword used by those of less than average intelligence to describe learning a basic life skill way later than they should have.

Check it out fam🤪 I just learned this NEW life hack. I just had this cool new thing delivered to my apartment! It's called a ""washing machine""! I can put my dirty clothes in it, turn this knob and it CLEANS my clothes! I can wear them more than once now! Your gonna wanna get one of these things guys. Duck lips-peace.

😖🤬🤢🤮
AMEN brother!!!
Cellphones and social media are proof that “lack of availability to information” isn’t the problem!

Reggie

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 22, 2020
Gardendale, Alabama
I’m hoping you didn’t get that my post was saying it was, actually it was saying the opposite.
RP’s work is exemplary of a true well thought through plan and execution of solving the problem at hand.

The bevel on tenon and tapered reaming to original airway is top tier stuff!!
No. I completely understood your post as a compliment to his work. Sorry for the misunderstanding if any.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Excellent work ! Curiosity question from someone with no repair experience : Why funnel the end of the tenon ? Is it for aesthetics or does it serve an airflow function ? I've seen it on gun barrels but not pipes. Thanks !

Reactions: RustiePyles CPG
Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
Excellent work ! Curiosity question from someone with no repair experience : Why funnel the end of the tenon ? Is it for aesthetics or does it serve an airflow function ? I've seen it on gun barrels but not pipes. Thanks !
Sharp edges and 90d angles make for terrible air flow and wet smokers, the smoother you can make any air flow transition the better it will flow.

Muzzle crowning/chamfering is done for different reasons. 90d angles and sharp edges do not make for a strong muzzle and can cause premature barrel failure at the muzzle due to the forces applied when the projectile leaves the barrel. Sharp edges at the muzzle can also cause drag on projectiles and thus cause deformation creating an erratic flight path.

Reactions: Hillcrest

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Sharp edges and 90d angles make for terrible air flow and wet smokers, the smoother you can make any air flow transition the better it will flow.

Muzzle crowning/chamfering is done for different reasons. 90d angles and sharp edges do not make for a strong muzzle and can cause premature barrel failure at the muzzle due to the forces applied when the projectile leaves the barrel. Sharp edges at the muzzle can also cause drag on projectiles and thus cause deformation creating an erratic flight path.
Thank you for explaining now I understand something I've always wondered about ! 👍